Sign in to follow this  

Thumpstar shock servicing

I just bought a Thumpstar shock on ebay for my son's XR70. I was wondering if anybody knows what oil weight is used in it and what should the nitrogen pressure be set at? I think the guy said it was off of a 120? It is approximately 10.75 inches from eye to eye. It seems like it's going to be a perfect replacement upgrade to the stock XR shock. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

There doesn't appear to be any numbers stamped or printed anywhere on the shock. It came from a 2005 Thumpstar 120 according to the ad. I changed the oil in it with some silkolene 2.5wt and didn't put any nitrogen in it. It seems to work pretty well compared to the stock XR shock. It's not trying to buck my kid off and the reduced rebound damping has leveled his bike off in the air a bit. Do these shocks even take a gas charge? I shot a small amount of air into it initially, and it made the rod extend. So I figured it might not need a charge..? Thanks alot for the reply, if you have any insight on properly servicing this shock, I'd really appreciate it.

Anybody know where I can go to get the proper servicing info?