Sign in to follow this  

2006 rm-z450 questions

Ok i just got my hands on an 06 rmz-450.Here are my questions.

How many teeth are the front and rear sprockets that come with the bike stock?

Where is the vin located?

Has been overheating.Is there any know concerns with head gaskets on these??

Stock gearing 14/48

The vin is located behind the number plate on the frame.

Over heating can be caused by a number of things, you'll have to make a check list. Four stroke's head gasket's leak, aspecially when a cheap gasket gets put in as a replacement. you should always use oem head gaskets.

What type of riding are you doing, when bike over heats?

What is the collant level?

Are the radiators damaged?

Are the louvers bent preventing airflow through the rads?

Check impeller make sure its spins freely, no clogs.

Take the rad cap off start the bike see if bubbles come up through the coolant. Bubbles will indicate a head gasket leak.

Check oil to see what color it is, milky oil indicates leaking head gasket.

Preform a leak down test. It's an easy way to test a head gasket for leaks.

Radiator isnt damaged .Havent checked for bubbles in the radiator yet.The riding ive been doing with it is mostly trails and it only seems to overheat when we get in some tight trails.Im guessing im just not getting enough airflow but im gonna double check for a head gasket regardless.I start racing this weekend so im gonna throw some engine ice in it for now and see how it does in open air.Im thinking that the rear sprocket isnt stock because i counted the teeth and came up with 49 and it says sunstar on itR

Radiator isnt damaged .Havent checked for bubbles in the radiator yet.The riding ive been doing with it is mostly trails and it only seems to overheat when we get in some tight trails.Im guessing im just not getting enough airflow but im gonna double check for a head gasket regardless.I start racing this weekend so im gonna throw some engine ice in it for now and see how it does in open air.Im thinking that the rear sprocket isnt stock because i counted the teeth and came up with 49 and it says sunstar on itR

I run engine ice in my bikes love the stuff, be sure to rinse the system out with viniger/watter; The ice doesnt mix with the green stuff. It wouldnt be a bad idea to just replace the piston and head gasket, cheap insurance. look on ebay there is a guy selling piston kits for 120$ and oem gaskets from babits online for 10$. Good luck let me know if I can help. MX 👍

Def appreciate the help so far.Another question.These bikes dont run a thermostat do they.I wouldnt think so because of how hot they get.Also do you have a link to that ebay site??Thanks again.

Def appreciate the help so far.Another question.These bikes dont run a thermostat do they.I wouldnt think so because of how hot they get.Also do you have a link to that ebay site??Thanks again.

The radiator cap has a spring in it that relieves the presure at a certain temp. The rad cap is the thermostat. On a race bike there is no over flow bottle to catch the collant; like a trail bike, so it pisses it out. My buddy made a catch system for the overflowing collant, it works great. He never runs out of collant.

NEW WISECO 13:1 HI-COMP PISTON KIT RMZ450 RMZ 450

Another good thing to buy is temp strips, I have one on the head and one on the rad. I like to know the bikes running temps. MX

I baught my 06 brand new from the dealer and it came with 49 on the rear sproket and 14 up front. strange combo i think.

I baught my 06 brand new from the dealer and it came with 49 on the rear sproket and 14 up front. strange combo i think.

1 up in the rear gives the bike more low end wich IMO it doesnt need.

Those bikes have alot of low end with stock gearing I'd put a 47t and gain some top. Being there 4 speeds.

Well first thanks for all the help so far.Flushed the cooling system today and put some engine ice in.ran bike with the cap off to check for bubbles but i really couldnt tell because the bubbles werent continous so i think the cooling system was just burping out some air pockets.So i put the cap on and took it for a good rip down my street.Then down to a couple short trails by my house.Didnt blow any coolant at all.The real test will be tommarow at the track but im pretty confident my problems was the tight trails i was getting in without sufficient airflow through the rad.I guess the best way to test for a head gasket would be to get it hot and pressure test it.I have a couple more questions.Was servicing the bike today and cleaned the airfilter.What really stunned me is the manual says to just put a thin layer of grease around the outside of the filter to seal it to the intake.It really doesnt seem to seal to well but it could be when the bike is running it puts a vacumm on it to seal it.Not sure.The other thing was the manual says the chain slack should be roughly between an inch and a half to 2 inches and should be done bith the bike on the stand.Thats how i set it at about inch and a half.But i thought you were supposed to set it with someone sitting on the bike?

Just feel aroud the filter and make sure that the holder is pressing the filter agains the air box, and the filter isnt squeezing out from any place.

You have to adjust the chain on the stand because the chain gets tighter when the suspension is under load. Over tightening a chain could cause some serious damage, puting tention on the drive shaft and shreading the tranny. 👍

ok theres def something up here.Maybe theres something missing i dont know.But the filter doesnt seem to seal against the intake.I rode it all day at the track like this now im worried.

You have to adjust the chain on the stand because the chain gets tighter when the suspension is under load. Over tightening a chain could cause some serious damage..

This statement makes me worry even more!

It the chains slack is adjusted in a position when it is not stretched the most I would mean you don´t have a chance to be sure it you end up with sufficient slack.

2 bikes with different Adjusted rear suspension would end up with different chain slack, since a suspension adjustment would raise/lower the back (rear wheel) which would influence on the distance between front and rear sprocket, the chain slack.

Does the manual really tell you to do this on the stand? I have to check..

WHAT?

Exactly how are you going to adjust a chain when the suspention is fully compressed. If you adjust a chain when there is load on the susp, it will be to loose and slap against the swing arm and possibly derail and bind up. I was telling the guy How I tighten my chain and why, and what not to do. Thanks for your .02.👍

WHAT?

Exactly how are you going to adjust a chain when the suspention is fully compressed. If you adjust a chain when there is load on the susp, it will be to loose and slap against the swing arm and possibly derail and bind up. I was telling the guy How I tighten my chain and why, and what not to do. Thanks for your .02.👍

Fully compressed would be just as bad as on the stand exactly same situation, just reverse.

As I see it there need to be load on the suspension just enough to align the front and rear sprocket, when the distance between them are the greatest, this way the chain will never end up too tight.

Personally I fear more a tight chain than slack.

someone help me with my air filter problem?

Take a picture I need to see what it your talking about.

I just did the head gasket on my 06. I had to lap the head surface because it was uneven. Just tryed it out a little today and seems to be better. Went to a 1.6 rad cap and engine ice as well. Let me know what you find out on yours.

Also, change your cam chain tension asap to a manual. The 06 factory one is mickey mouse and I blew one engine apart already!!!!

Edited by Scoops25