Sign in to follow this  

81 xr250r

Hey, I am just starting to get into riding and bought a cheap old xr. It runs real nice just the ride was too much for me to handle. So my first order of business was to rebuild the forks. I understand I am throwing money away but I wanted a cheap old bike to learn on. Not riding, but working on. Can anyone just throw me some good starter tips. Any kind of advice or direction as to what I should spend my first few dollars and hours on would be awesome. Thanks

Using '81 XR500R for Vinduro and regular trail riding, at 160 lbs I'm happy with the rear shock, forks I just stripped and cleaned and run 15-25 psi in them depending on track. Remounted front mud gaurd without rubbers and stopped it pointing up in the air which allows the forks to go 67mm through the triple clamps without hitting the tyre on the gaurd.

Steers extremely well but lacks ground clearance.

Hey, I am just starting to get into riding and bought a cheap old xr. It runs real nice just the ride was too much for me to handle. So my first order of business was to rebuild the forks. I understand I am throwing money away but I wanted a cheap old bike to learn on. Not riding, but working on. Can anyone just throw me some good starter tips. Any kind of advice or direction as to what I should spend my first few dollars and hours on would be awesome. Thanks

How much do you weigh? What kind of riding do you want to do? Those make a big difference in how to set it up. Do the forks have oil in them or has the seal leaked and it all run out? Stiffer fork springs (if available) and thicker fork oil if nothing else. Are you just going to ride it till you feel competent and then get something better? Or fix it up and keep it if you like it enough? I had a 79 some years back that I really liked a lot. the old school "thin" look and twin rear shocks (which you couldn't replace with anything).

There's a lot you can do to improve things, just depends on how muchyou want to spend. $ 👍

I weigh about 185 and am doing mostly trail riding and occasionally take it to the dunes. The forks had some oil in them but it seemed to be half water. I took them apart and am plannin on replacin all the seals and springs. What springs do you recommend? I tried ordering oem specific springs off of cheapcycleparts.com and they are unavailable. I want to keep this bike, I have never worked on a bike so I intend on using this as my learning bike. Eventually I want to get another one but I intend on getting this baby back to cherry. Even though its a waste of money I think it will be worht it to learn on and over a couple years it should be well spent. I like the old school bike! anything you can share would be awesome. THANK YOU

The only springs I've been able to find for these old bikes is Progressive springs with progressive rates (go figure).

I actually just bought a NOS Progressive rear spring for my 350 off ebay, it came yesterday. Was only $50 so I figured it was worth a shot. Would be $140ish for a custom wound spring (rear) made for the bike. XR's Only sells Progressive fork springs as well as the rear. $100 for either which is the going rate for springs in general.(new)

The Progressives were generally considered to be an upgrade from stock in most cases, but less than the best straight rate springs. Check Racetech and Eibach for straight rate springs and the recommended rate for your riding and weight.

I did what you're doing with my 350 and love it dearly. I've learned a lot, even as I've spent way too much $$ on it. 👍

It's a keeper too.

Right on man, hope to hear from you in the future when I pull another section off the bike. Good luck, happy easter