Sign in to follow this  

Wiring Issues

Hey guys. I have a 2005 CRF 450 X. I'm baffled and don't know what to do other than tap into a new wire. I recently took off my rear fender to chang plastics and had to cut the wires. I went to put them all back on today and when I did the wires from the CDI box going to the tail light were all messed up. The power wire (black) had power whether the bike was on or not, and the ground (gray) was not grounding. I'm puzzled as to why this is, please help!!! P.S.- The bike starts, runs, and the headlight works only when the bike is running like it's supposed to???👍

Hey guys. I have a 2005 CRF 450 X. I'm baffled and don't know what to do other than tap into a new wire. I recently took off my rear fender to chang plastics and had to cut the wires. I went to put them all back on today and when I did the wires from the CDI box going to the tail light were all messed up. The power wire (black) had power whether the bike was on or not, and the ground (gray) was not grounding. I'm puzzled as to why this is, please help!!! P.S.- The bike starts, runs, and the headlight works only when the bike is running like it's supposed to???👍

The taillight wires un-plug from the harness right under the seat.

You didn't say it, but I am assuming your problem is that you have no tailight?

Bulb out?

Yah Krannie I do have a tail light. I've gone through and added the three wire bolt on tail light/brake light/plate light LED set up from baja designs. It's already been hooked up and it worked fine in the fall. However now, the hot line (black) has power even when the bike is off and the ground (grey) no longer is grounded. (All has been check with test lights) My question is how even though the bike hadn't been run or any wiring/electrical systems removed or unplugged, this could be happening? The light does work as it should when hooked up, it's just always on because the power is constant from the black wire, and I had to ground to the frame in order to replace the grey. I hope this info helps. I read a little bit in threads talking about some kind of "fail safe" in the CDI box? And most people remedy this problem by running a hot line to a switch and turn it on/off as you need. I think I may do this because I do half on road and half track time so I think I may hook up this switch and connect both the head light and tail/brake light.