Sign in to follow this  

Sand Track Need Help

i am riding a sand MX track that I have riden before and every time I try to hit a jump I get nervous because the bike is squirming all over the face of the jump and I panic and let off the throttle and we all know what happens then. I have lowered my tire presure to arround 10lbs I ride a 08/CRF 450r that I just bought and am in my forties how do I get over the fear of hitting jumps and dying?

lean back, grip with your legs, and dont steer with your front wheel steer with your body by shifting your weight to change lines and steer

I'm going to guess you are riding Gopher dunes. If you are best advice i can give you is stay on the gas and grip the bike tight with your legs, once you get used to that the jumps will come, I rode there on my 85 last year, beginning of the year I hated the the track and by the end I had gotten used to it and was jumping everything but the finish liner.

Is the suspension set up for you? Just wondering because you said that you just bought it, and sand is near impossible to ride without a half-way good suspension.

Like others have said, use your legs to grip the bike!

I've recently been riding through a lot of snow, and the same concepts apply... keep the back end under control. 👍

i am riding a sand MX track that I have riden before and every time I try to hit a jump I get nervous because the bike is squirming all over the face of the jump and I panic and let off the throttle and we all know what happens then. I have lowered my tire presure to arround 10lbs I ride a 08/CRF 450r that I just bought and am in my forties how do I get over the fear of hitting jumps and dying?

I have a new DVD called MX Sand and Grass Techniques. You can see a free preview at; http://www.gsmxs.com/dvd.htm It's down toward the bottom of the page. 👍:thumbsup:🤣

My local sand track tends to get a lip on the top of the face off the jump¨s.. this sends me flying front wheel down, and back wheel up..

Can someone help me???

I´m norwegian so excuse me for the language;)

My local sand track tends to get a lip on the top of the face off the jump¨s.. this sends me flying front wheel down, and back wheel up..

Can someone help me???

I´m norwegian so excuse me for the language;)

The only thing you can really do is lean back further and make sure you stay on the gas all the way up the face

stiffen up the front forks and slow down the rebound in back. I grew up riding alot of sand tracks. I compared riding a bike in sand to riding a stand up jet ski. you have to make the thing corner by leaning and body positioning. It's alot about finesse. And the throttle is your friend. you don't just chop the throttle in the sand, you kind of ease it back and always try to keep a little throttle on. I also think using a wider front tire in the sand could benefit you. It might stabilize the front end a little better up the face of the jumps.