Sign in to follow this  

650L questions

Been a while since I wrenched on a bike. I have been desmogging, carb modding, sprocket chain replacing etc. I noticed tonight when I removed my chain the front sprocket could be moved in and out a bit is this normal? Also the sprocket had a plastic ring down approximately 1/2" from the tip of the tooth down toward the center kind of a guide for the chain, will a new aftermarket sprocket come like this or is this a factory thing?

Thanks

Been a while since I wrenched on a bike. I have been desmogging, carb modding, sprocket chain replacing etc. I noticed tonight when I removed my chain the front sprocket could be moved in and out a bit is this normal? Also the sprocket had a plastic ring down approximately 1/2" from the tip of the tooth down toward the center kind of a guide for the chain, will a new aftermarket sprocket come like this or is this a factory thing?

Thanks

Sprocket rubber thing is factory,,i think it dampens chain noise,not positive though,aftermarket does not have this..

sprocket and shaft movement in and out is normal,,check the sprocket retainer for wear,and the output shaft for wear..

B

The keeper should keep it fairly tight in the in/out direction. You can see wear very easily if you take it apart and clean it. Look at and clean the splines, they tend to strip if neglected. Reassemble with some grease on the splines.

I took my chain off today and and noticed the same play and thought nothing of it. I put the bike in first gear so I could loosen the retainer bolts and noticed some play in being able to turn the output shaft I would say enough to where the outside of the sprocket would move about 1/2" on it's diameter before slack is out. At the shaft it is probably moves a little greater then the width of the spline.

Is that normal?