Sign in to follow this  

front brake pad wear 450 sxf?

Recently I been turning in my front break adjuster quite often,(seems like every time I ride) is this normal? Today I have no more adjustment, does that mean the pads are gone? Looks like there is still quite of bit of pad left. I have a race this weekend and did not expect this. If this is normal, what kind of hours do you get from pads?

Try back bleeding it by compressing the caliper with your knee slowly. I've wasted a set of new pads in under 2 hours, good luck getting a definitive answer to lifespan. Conditions & habits will dictate that. Mud & wet sand can kill them in a few miles.

Right on ! Mud and sand can kill brake pads in a matter of laps.

Try this ; Loosen the f-brake caliper and have a friend hold it up over the level of the master cylinder. Bleed the brakes as you normally (by bumping and cracking the nipple approx. ten times) would with the exception of keeping the brake caliper up high and turning the bleeder screw so it´s the highest point in the whole equation. Air ALWAYS seeks it´s way to the highest point.

Once that´s done mount the caliper and (leave the MC open so the overflowing brake fluid have somewhere to escape) push the pads all the way in against the brake disc. Use caution so you don´t bend the disc.

Now pump the lever untill it´s firm,fill the MC with fluid,mount the MC cover and enjoy those one finger stoppies once again.

thanks, I will try your adivces tonight. I remember my old 85 bike, front pads would last a long time. I should probably not think about adding a little shim stock behind the pads. Just need to make it until after the weekend and wanted to ride tonight. See how it works after bleeding them. thanks

sounds like a good idea, I never took my caliper off. thanks..

I take it air can get in there now and then, that's why i should try to bleed and maybe recover some pad useage? Just looking at them on the bike looks like there is some pad left. How do you tell how much pad is left, only by using calipers or mic?

i am not sure on the spec for min pad lining but i would'nt go any less than 2mm thats pretty thin. it should tell you in your owners manual and usually i'll guess-estimate alittle .i have a little ruler with mm marks on it .

I am picking up my mic and veneer calipers right now and will head home to measure them. They look like plenty of pad left, guessing 0.150-0.180.

My vacuum bleeder was not shipped out, as I expected to have it already. If I didn't have air in the system I do now. Can I bleed these by just lifting the calipers higher then the master cylinder and pumping on the break lever? If not I either need to make a vacuum cup and hook a vac pump to it or barrow someone vacuum bleeder. Want to race sat morning.

Appreciate any ideas.

All specs on break pad wear and how to measure is in the owners manual. No less than 1mm pad thickness. Only need a ruler to check pad thickness.

How to bleed brakes. plenty of other sites also if you google. http://dirtbike.off-road.com/dirtbike/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=266340

Google "how to read micrometers" if you have not used them before and there not digital.

Thanks cw, my pads are around 0.175 - 4.45mm thick, I assume the manual spec is what is left and not initial wear?

The dirt bike article makes it just like bleeding a vehicle. Well, I've done that over a few hundred times. Gosh gave up last night. Will mount it back on and try it.

So why did I lose my break? Did not feel spongy, will bleed it tonight and see if it firms up.

Yep, same as a vehicle. It will take some time to bleed if you have alot of air in there.

If that dosn't fix it I'd be thinking a master cylinder piston problem.

Pad thickness is whats left and is measured at A in the pic.

Your pads havn't got alot of wear at 4.45 thick.

attachment.php?attachmentid=13269&stc=1&d=1270222458

Capture.JPG

yea, thats where I measured. My bike is fairly new. Not sure what is going on, is it common for air to get in just leaning over? Seemed firm, just ran out of adjustment.

How do you attach thumbnails?

well, after bleeding the breaks I have breaks. Do not understand this, had oil and bike is very new. Wondering about bike prep. When I get my vac bleeder I am going to redue all the breaks, wondering if I should re-bleed the clutch. The hyd clutch when cold, seems to not release well. thanks for all the help.