Sign in to follow this  

Spokes came a lil loose on the last ride.

2004 CRF 450 ORIGINAL DID RIMS, Had about 4 half day rides since i purchased it, loaded it up and the rim and hub would shake. So what to do know i have taken it off the bike and gonna take the tire off and check the nipples, they seem to be really dirty from the one that i did get to mess with. My question is do i most likely have to get new spokes and get her trued im looking for some first hand experience with this. i messed up i should have tightened them sooner like every ride from now on.

I cant tell from your post if you damaged anything, but it is a good idea to check the spokes before every trip. I do this with mine, and always find one that can use a little tightening.

Does the rim still spin straight? If so, just tighten them back up.

The spokes come loose from time to time. If you dont know how to true a wheel or arent willing to teach yourself, take it somewhere. Its not tough at all.

When truing a wheel, Its been my experience to get it round first, then get it straight is the easiest, quickest way.

Thanks for the replies i will teach myself how to do it if i have too, im gonna throw it on acustom stand and spin it and see how she looks, if she looks good im gonna tighten them and call it good. If not ill learn how to true. i have searched on here and found alot of info on how to do it your self.

If only a few spoke are loose you're pretty safe just tightening so they are snug. I usually hold a wrench or something on the swingarm so its held next to the side of the rim. Then when you spin the wheel you can get a visual of how true the rim is. If the nipples are aluminum there are probably seized to the spoke and will just break first ride after you tighten them. You can tell when they are seized because they will feel real springy when you try to tighten them.