dr650 touring bike= not me

I finally got a honest ride out of the DR-SM today. 100+miles.

I few opinions from me. the seat sucks and my a$$ hurts. and a cruise down the slab at 80+ is a full tuck situation.

I don't think I could take this out on a trip anywhere far. but I had fun today ?

also the tm40 is awesome but there is still a little surgeing at times. is this normal.

+1 for the Sargent seat, mine was worth every penny.

I know what you mean about the tuck for high speed, and long rides. I've tried a windscreen also, I used a laminar from a B-king. It's still a little short for highway trips though, keeps windblast off your chest quite well, I'm 6'0". The buffeting gets quite bad though over 70mph. I'd like to know which one works best before I buy another one.

I sure would like to try your SM setup though, I think it would get me in serious trouble.? With my knobby type tires I usually run, the vibration in the bars gets bad at about 75mph.

+1 for the Sargent seat, mine was worth every penny.

I know what you mean about the tuck for high speed, and long rides. I've tried a windscreen also, I used a laminar from a B-king. It's still a little short for highway trips though, keeps windblast off your chest quite well, I'm 6'0". The buffeting gets quite bad though over 70mph. I'd like to know which one works best before I buy another one.

I sure would like to try your SM setup though, I think it would get me in serious trouble.? With my knobby type tires I usually run, the vibration in the bars gets bad at about 75mph.

the SM setup is great I was up to 90mph no problems except the wind sucking off the back. so I tucked and go. i went only about 20miles before I was back to the 2 lane. some days I wished I had knobies. I may try a tru sm tire next time. I have a set of avon semi slicks on it now. and they suck on gravel. i think i will try the desantis (sp)

where are you in PA?

I live just outside of Mansfield PA. not to far from the Grand Canyon, great dualsporting around there.

I see your from WV, I got a brother who lives outside Lynchburg VA who owns a DR650 also, I gotta trailer mine down over vacation this summer to do some riding in the mountains there.

I will probably just leave my '05 DR set up for 50/50 type riding for day rides, it and me seem happiest doing that. Hope to get a 2nd bike soon for touring, probably a V-strom so I can still hit some dirt roads with it.

They all say our 650's will hit 100mph, but I haven't tried yet, I fear a tank slapper with the knobby, even though my sag and springs are correct. It get's darty and hand numbing at 80 or so. I routinely fly 70+ on gravel all the time though. Good fun.

you don't need a SM setup, I run metzeler tourance tyres on stock rims, smooth as silk at 162kph (gps actual), no headshake nothing

my best on a gravel road complete with potholes is a touch over 140kph actual. Little bit of headshake but that's down to the suspension which was taking a massive beating, too soft in the front

@OP the DR650 is not the best touring bike, i'd personally want something bigger and taller. A 1200cc tourer is so much better but try throwing one of those around offroad.

The DR650 is the best do-it-all bike imo, with the DRZ400 coming a close second but too buzzy at highway speed.

An aftermarket seat and a windscreen helps like you wouldn't believe, I recently rode from Cairns to Sydney which was approximately 3,000km, first day covered 800km the second I covered over 1000km. No matter what you do to the stock seat (wearing thicker pants or a sheep skin) you're only improving the problem but you aren't fixing it. It takes me over 400km to shift once on the corbin, with the stock seat it's about 30km

the stock seat is just trying to split you down the middle. 200-300 miles a day should be pretty comfy with a shield and a better seat.

I ain't a gold wing. I did a few tours with the DR. It works but my buddies were trading up to better touring rigs and the DR was not cutting it. Canada tours at 90 mph wear on your brain. I have to say though, If you think the DR is bad try a 1990 fatboy, I swapped and rode that for 75 miles, I was praying someone would need to stop.

Last summer I picked up a touring rig, different but pure joy at who cares how fast (except cops). This summer I am going to run the st lawrence river, around the gaspe penisula and drop down thru nova scotia, camping all the way - hopefully primitive in national/provincial forest most of the time

Put me in the camp that absolutly loves the DR but doesn't understand how folks can long range tour on them. 80 mph is work on that bike. And for the record, I've owned a few very fast naked bikes including a Speed triple and had no problem with high mileage days. Something about the position in relation to the wind blst that just doesn't quite work for long rides.

This could be a great 2 lane tourer at a relaxed sub-70mph pace. I'm going to swap to a 16 tooth front and get a small shield for the longer backroad rides but I don't imagine there'll be much superslabing. That and I may change out the very slippery leather corbin. The wind at speed literally wants to slide me back. Not "grippy" enough. Is there a way to make a leather seat less slippery? ?

The nice thing about the DR650 is that you can adapt them for about any purpose you want. For touring through the Rockies, it can be a very comfortable and capable tourer and will take you from interstates (if for some reason you wanted to?) to offroad. It all depend on how you want to set it up and where you want to go. Set up like this, you can go anywhere for as long as you want:

157028879_LeDjU-M.jpg

188667500_yZjRS-M.jpg

The seat plays an important part as do the handle bar position and the foot pegs. I've done back to back to back 500+ mile days at 70+ MPH on mine, but i have a Corbin seat, different handlebars, rear set footpegs and sumo tires. I think it's all about making the bike work for you.

And like everybody says .... your mileage may vary.

Hello,

sorry for high-jacking the thread, but I need some help.

FatChance, Whats the story on the side cases on the yellow DR? I'm trying to figure out the options for some kind of bags on my dr. The sub frame on my bike already looks stressed from the previous owner so I'm kinda leery on hanging too much weight off the back. I've been searching the net trying to figure out how to mount bags or side cases. From the pics it looks like you have a fairly slick set up. If you don't mind I'm curios what your using for cases and how you've mounted them. Please let me know. Thanks

Bullittman

This could be a great 2 lane tourer at a relaxed sub-70mph pace. I'm going to swap to a 16 tooth front and get a small shield for the longer backroad rides but I don't imagine there'll be much superslabing. That and I may change out the very slippery leather corbin. The wind at speed literally wants to slide me back. Not "grippy" enough. Is there a way to make a leather seat less slippery? ?

I'm thinking 725cc kit, 17 tooth front sprocket would make the engine much better. Even though it really doesn't mind being held flat (I did it for a whole tank of fuel) it just 'feels' too vibey at highway speed. Really don't understand why there isn't a 6th gear?

As for the corbin I have the ashphalt pattern on the sides and basketweave on the top. When new was a bit slippery from the oil they apply to it but now there's a nice amount of grip, can still slide, but you don't slide unintentionally. Basketweave helps it breathe better on long trips and provides a bit of extra grip, I wouldn't recommend asphalt on top as the sides on mine are fairly grippy, enough to hang on with your knees

Hello,

FatChance, Whats the story on the side cases on the yellow DR? I'm trying to figure out the options for some kind of bags on my dr. The sub frame on my bike already looks stressed from the previous owner so I'm kinda leery on hanging too much weight off the back. I've been searching the net trying to figure out how to mount bags or side cases. From the pics it looks like you have a fairly slick set up. If you don't mind I'm curios what your using for cases and how you've mounted them. Please let me know. Thanks

Bullittman

here's my 2c...

I challenge you to break that subframe, previous owner must have had at it with a sledge hammer. I rode from Cairns to Sydney like this...

12815629.jpg

69012829.jpg

That's with a ebay rack on the back which moves the weight even further back. Total weight is approx 50-60kg, no problems other than being a little unstable and rather wheelie prone ??

The subframe on mine is absolutely rock solid as is the carry rack. I should have just got some side bags but hey it's a learning process right ?

Hello,

Bullittman

They are pelican cases. very good case. Cariboucases make mounts to hang the pelicans on the DR, or you can buy the cases and do it yourself. ANyway you do it you have to hang them on the stock rack mounting points, even if tied into the rear peg blots, most the load will still be on the rear subframe. I also don't think you can break the rear subframe hanging stuff on it. Crashing or looping a wheelie on the other hand...

Bullittman

I use Moto-sports pannier racks and their universal pannier mounting kit. You can find them HERE. The panniers are Pelican 1520 cases. The DR650 subframe is very strong and I have never had a hint of a problem. The racks seem bulletproof, are very well made and probably help strengthen the subframe even more with the cross bracing of their mounts..

In fact, later the same day the upper photo was taken in Moab, FatWife (same setup on her '00 DR650) got twisted up in some heavy sand at about 35mph, went down and broke her ankle when she put her foot out to keep her bike up. The panniers kept the bike off her leg and there was no damage to the Pelicans, the rack or the subframe in the crash, even with all that camping gear weight on the bike.

157028892_rCc9J-M.jpg

This is what the set-up looks like in some old pictures. Note that I have an older universal pannier mounting kit than what Moto-sport currently sells.

76187466_CKYnM-M.jpg

76187475_D736E-M.jpg

76187472_j6Acb-M.jpg

76187469_zbCAq-M.jpg

76187481_mj57x-M.jpg

Hello,

Thanks for the response. This helps a whole bunch. One last question though, Whats the story on your top luggage rack? Stock or?? Does it have any effect on mounting your side cases or how do those mount? The previous owner has fabbed a fairly nice top rack that mounts under the grab handles. Let me know.

Thanks.

Edit.

I got a bit overzealous and missed everybody elses post. Once again thanks for the input. Its good to know that the sub frame is tough. The reason for my concern is all of the sub frame welds show stress. The paint pulled and chipped at the toe of the welds where it joins the main frame. There is also a cross member that joins the two frame halfs under the seat and the welds are actually cracking out on it. I know the bike has had a rough past live from the dents and scratches. I can weld so if it becomes a problem I can fix it. From all the pictures though I think woried too much. Thanks for the input guys.

Bullittman

Hello,

Thanks for the response. This helps a whole bunch. One last question though, Whats the story on your top luggage rack? Stock or?? Does it have any effect on mounting your side cases or how do those mount?

It is a stock DR650 rack from the dealer. No affect on mounting the racks.