Sign in to follow this  

Front wheel bearings - help me remove them.

My bearings were in really bad shape. I pounded out the inner race of both bearings, now I am left with a very thin edge of outer race to get a hold of. Any tips to give me before I damage my wheel?

if the outer races are still all the way in and you have no inner races then idk. there's not really any way to get behind it now. normally if you hit the i.r.'s with a drift the whole bearing comes out, but if you hit the seal/bearing portion you can seperate the i.r and have this problem. if you can't get behind the o.r. with a drift i'd probably use a die-grinder and CAREFULLY grind a line across the race and it should basically fall out then. i had to use this method with my linkage and swingarm bearing cages recently. it works well just go slow and pay attention to what you're doing. after you get the races out take a little sand paper to the hub where you grinded through, you'll have boogered it up a little but it should be fine.

good luck.

a steering race puller may work

Edited by schrode
second thougght

My bearings were in really bad shape. I pounded out the inner race of both bearings, now I am left with a very thin edge of outer race to get a hold of. Any tips to give me before I damage my wheel?

Use tape to insulate any exposed areas of the hub then weld a bead around the inside of the bearing race. As the weld cools it will shrink the race allowing it to come out easy.👍

Oh, watch out for the tape fire!

Perc

Get a washer that is just small enough to fit in side the race, as it will gave abit more edge to fit race,back it up with a small washer to prevent bending of first washer. Old bolt to hold it together and use as the driver. Light hammering it around so the race moves with out cocking it in the hub. If still to tite apply a little heat from propane torch on the out side of hub. Like wize

put the new bearings in the freezer over nite and they'll go in easier also.

Thanks guys! A friend had what I assume is a steering race puller, at least it fits a bearing ID and has a slide hammer on it. A few yanks and they came right out.

I have my bearings in the freezer and a heat gun on my wheel as we speak.

I will remember the welding trick, the washer trick, and of course good old heat, for next time when it's late at night. : )

Thanks guys! A friend had what I assume is a steering race puller, at least it fits a bearing ID and has a slide hammer on it. A few yanks and they came right out. : )

Or of course... you could always just use the correct tools.👍

I'm still old school I guess:D

Perc