not fast enough. It's me! cr250

Knew it was 99% of it, but watching this kid scream away from me and launch a big double I "think" I can hit is killing me.

Quick reference, I'm 5'6 140 and have been on the 02cr250 for about two years. Mostly mx. Suspension "fairly set." I can hit most doubles (except the big boys) and am taking the corners a lot faster but the nerves rattle me hitting something big.

I have seriously considered getting a 250/450f because it seems, with just one braaaap from a stop, you can launch the thing, effortless. I feel like I'm screaming through a couple of gears to do the same jump (and oh hell if you miss one). The kids today on their 50sx and 65's blew by me. Kid on 250f same thing. I know a lot depends on the rider, but I don't feel "that" slow. I waited on one of the "racing kids" to go by and tried to stay with him to match the speed for this jump I want to clear, and almost....then no way. He was bouncing around wot and flew over no problem. Shouldn't I have the speed/confience by now? Is it normal to take a couple of years of seat time or something I should be focusing on (or less). Not really scared of the bike's power (although respect it) but it's more fear of washing out or my brain chickening out too late into a jump and hesitation hurts really bad! I'm not really sure after today that I'd be any faster on a 4s. Just like the effortless bite it has.

Any ideas?

I just sold my 04cr250 to get a 125 and an older modle 250, its what you should do. It hapened to me the same way you described it. So i need to learn tecniques from a 125 first. Take your time in to jumping and a feel for the bike, and also how you control it. those little kids on those 65s and 85s etc are locals that go their probably twice a week. I never underestimate a kid at a track. So time will tell, it takes time, not fast, how do you think pros got to be where they are? they rode most of their life. Practice

Just like the others said. Just keep working at it. If you are just doing "okay" jumping, a different bike won't necessarily make it easier. You just need to keep practicing and honing in your skills. If you are screaming your bike and don't feel you are going anywhere, maybe drop a tooth or two on the rear sprocket. Suspension is the most important, then good gearing. From there, the rest is up to you. Good Luck!

Any ideas?

I'd do 3 things:

#1. have someone, who is familiar with 2-strokes ride your bike to make sure its tuned right. when a CR is not on its game its a horrible machine. just a jetting issue is all it will be.

#2. Steahly flywheel weight. It will tame it down till it feels like a 450. Honest, huge impact, depending on the weight you chose.

#3. Get in the habit of never rolling off the throttle when you shift (with clutch). Once you get that down on a 2-stroke the powerband will be as seamless as anything out there.

Sic...

Screaming through a few gears and not being able to clear stuff on a 250 two-stroke doesn't go together.

Sounds like you would benefit from the tamer and easier ride of a 250f. Nothing wrong with honing your skills on one of the "lites" bikes.

I'm working with the same exact problem. What I've found is that when I'm hesitant about a jump, I get going real fast and sort of ease off the throttle because in the back of my mind I picture me looping out with all that power. I always come up short when I do this. Keep on the power all the way until your back tire leaves the ground. It's amazing what powering up that last little foot off the face of a jump does.

Edited by todthebod

Tod is right, if your scared its better to overjump then come up short, what I do is size it up, and ride next to some guys to get an idea of the speed you need the stab the brakes before you leave the ground, you would be suprised that most jumps on a normal track can be done 3rd gear half throttle to 1/4 throttle and I mean in the powerband. Good luck dont give up the more you try the more confident you get,

It's just me but when I go somewhere to ride I have to clear everything the first trip or I'll sike myself out. Theres a few tracks I've been going to for years that still has a few jumps I just won't do (all in my head) that are alot smaller than the one's I'm use to now. CONFIDENCE is key!!!!

And farfromhome63's right. You'd be surprised at the lack of speed it takes to clear most jumps, I used to think I had to hit them 5th gear pinned but I rarely hit anything higher than 4th gear.

Also you have to get comfortable with the bike dancing around and being loose. Kind of like you're riding on top of the dirt and not down in it. Loose and on the gas. Once you get some experience on the bike you'll feel it out and get more confidence on it. It took me a while.

Seat time, thats what it is going to help you, and bolster your confidence. The "moto kids" you are referencing have little fear because for the most part they have not been hurt bad. Plus for us forty somthings there is the whole gotta go to work on monday thing. I would recommend just doing the jumps you are comfortable with and not succum to the whole 4t thing because a lot of people say they are better. I did and I am going back to a 2t. At our age its all about having fun,,leave the ego and mochismo out of the equasion. Sorry if I sound like I am rambling, but as I write this I am stoned on vikodin because of a bad crash Friday trying to do a jump out of my league:banghead:. Pulled all the muscles in my back, brused my sternum and a few ribs. Im done trying to keep up with the kids. Be safe, Kris

i am 42 and on a cr125. only been back on the bike for a year after 15 year lay off. it has only been the last couple of trips to the track that i have even begun to think about clearing even the smallest double or table. but it's coming... its coming.

take your time and it will all come to you.