Sign in to follow this  

2005 CRF250R head gasket bad?

I have a 05 crf250r. I traded for the bike and before i got it the bike was left alone for about 1 year or more. I never checked any of the fluids such as oil and coolant, my mistake. After riding trails for about 3 months the bike started to leak oil from the cylinder head cover gasket and the bike overheats. Right now i can't get the bike started to see where the oil is coming from because it wont start now either, which i think the valves need adjusted for that one. Any info on the oil leak though?

bummer.. as for the oil- bad valve cover gasket, bad o-ring between spark plug chamber and valve cover, or bad valve cover bolt gromments.. as for overheating are you loosing coolant through the overflow tube? does the oil look like chocolate milk? when cold remove the radiator cap and start the bike, does it bubble/foam at all?

are you talking about the valve cover gasket, the rubber one? I've had mine leak before and it was just not seated properly in the valve cover.

What moto_x2005 was talking about is that there is a thick rubber grommet/ o-ring that usually is inside the valve cover. When you install the valve cover, the grommet/ o-ring goes around that tube that houses the spark plug.