sag settings - help quick --- wrong spring?

I sent off my suspension on my 08 CRF250R to have them revalve for my weight (told them 150 lbs since I plan to loose weight - currently sitting at 157 lbs w/ no gear and 171 lbs w/ gear), and also had them lower the front and rear suspension 1"

I just got evertything put back together to take a quick measurement to see where I am at, and measured the following:

on stand - 546 mm

static - 508 mm

race sag - 463 mm

As you can see, my race sag is 83 mm, in which the tuner said to adjust to 100 mm (I assumed would be less since lowered), and the static sag is 38 mm.

If I were to adjust the race sag an additional 17mm to get the required 100 mm, wouldn't my static sag increase as well? He said to shoot for 25 mm of static sag, but I am already sitting at 38 mm, and I am even 7 lbs over weight.

Is my rear spring too stiff? Especially since I plan to loose another 7-10 lbs???

Thanks, Dave

Hmmm... is everything working smoothly since you put it back together? If so, maybe double check everything as far as the assemblies go and take a short ride bouncing up and down on the suspension. Then, recheck and readjust your sag. Lowering does change things up a bit so I wouldn't be AS concerned with your static sag. My bike is lowered and I have my RACE sag set at 3.5" as I didn't like the 4" normal setting with the bike lowered. Not sure what 3.5" is in mm as I am not near a ruler. Let me know what you find.

I have 6 hrs on the bike and all feels good once put back together (no hang ups). I haven't ridden the bike, but did jump up and down on the bike, as well as my buddy (210 lbs).

right now my race sag in inches is 3.25"

I bet that does feel a little stiff. Just make sure everything went back together properly and torqued to specs and readjust your sag to 89mm and see how you like it. I am about your weight and I ride mx as a novice. My bike does bottom easier at the recommended 100mm sag now that it is lower because I jump much better now (confidence gained from bike being lowered). This is why I went to 88.9mm.

If you are riding trails you won't like thaat stiff.

I will adjust this sunday, in which I originally was shooting for 91 mm, close to what your suggesting, until the tuner said 100 mm.

I ride track once a month for fun, but ride mostly desert. I do double all the jumps at the track and the tables, and hit ~75 ft natural terrain jumps if this makes a difference.

I am thinking this spring is going to be a bit to stiff... its a 5.0kg

Ignoring for a moment the reasoning of your tuner, is there a reason why you dont set the sag by feel for best cornering? I know there is more to corner handling than sag, but front/rear height cannot be out by more than a few mm if it's going to turn "normally". eg. Find a smooth rut turn on dirt and get the front/rear height adjusted so the bike just rails it easy with light braking on entry. Then get the rear suspension travel, progression and bottoming resistance dialed in by adjusting your hi spd comp and the spring rate. Don't screw up the ride height.

Ignoring for a moment the reasoning of your tuner, is there a reason why you dont set the sag by feel for best cornering? I know there is more to corner handling than sag, but front/rear height cannot be out by more than a few mm if it's going to turn "normally". eg. Find a smooth rut turn on dirt and get the front/rear height adjusted so the bike just rails it easy with light braking on entry. Then get the rear suspension travel, progression and bottoming resistance dialed in by adjusting your hi spd comp and the spring rate. Don't screw up the ride height.

As long as I have been riding, I have never had my suspension done to know how it should be when properly setup. Nor do I have anyone that can watch me ride to critique what is happening and why... So I am pretty much setting it up as told, and then from there I will play on my local track and what not, then post for suggestions if I don't like what I feel.

As of right now, I really just need a starting point to go off of. I have never even set the sag on my bikes before ๐Ÿ‘

As long as I have been riding, I have never had my suspension done to know how it should be when properly setup. Nor do I have anyone that can watch me ride to critique what is happening and why... So I am pretty much setting it up as told, and then from there I will play on my local track and what not, then post for suggestions if I don't like what I feel.

As of right now, I really just need a starting point to go off of. I have never even set the sag on my bikes before ๐Ÿ‘

Fair enough. So give it a go now. I mean loosen the preload lock nut, oil the threads so they spin when you turn the spring, adjust the sag one way, then the other, and try feel the diff.

Someone here recently pointed me at this guide. It's a good one. I love his "pull back on the bars" symptom in turns for having the rear set too high. http://www.tootechracing.com/Twin%20Chamber%20Suspension%20Set%20Up.htm

It's never too late to start learning about it. I knew relatively little about dirt bikes (or riding them) until 4 years ago when I got a bike which demanded some attention. It did not take me long to find out that a few simple adjustments here and there can make a 450F feel extremely nice or like a dangerous wild pig. The enjoyment of riding gradually went up by about 10 times because the bike just works. Sag (or front/rear height) is the no.1 most basic thing to get right, out by too much and you'll fight your bike in every turn.

Nor do I have anyone that can watch me ride to critique what is happening and why...
FR, I should have mentioned earlier that you dont need an observer to help you tune up the basics in your setup or technique. Technique often tied to setup. Just read a guide like that one from TooTech to get some ideas of the basics. Then go out and feel it and experiment a little. ๐Ÿ‘

PS. Don't change spring preload for anything except easy cornering.

lol, cant people just ride? what the hell is the difference? your suspension is set go ride it. people in the AA class in my series worry less then you when it comes to there RACE SAGG i know a bunch of people who just go race and can whoop ass
Ah yeah. Of course people can just ride! But what's the point in asking that, in this thread, where someone asked about sag and springs, because he cares and he wants more enjoyment? ๐Ÿ‘

You ask "what the hell is the difference?" which just makes me LOL and wonder why the hell are you you visiting this thread or this suspension forum. Seriously, don't you see the irony? ๐Ÿ™‚

What you wrote about many riders not knowing the difference with a sag change is so true. Even relatively fast guys might not know or not be able to feel how they are adapting to or fighting a bike. But it does not change the fact that these don't know guys can often ride much faster and easier for much longer with some basic setup changes. Especially on heavier bikes on difficult tracks.

Many "don't know" guys buy different year/color bikes to change the handling, when most often all they needed was a screwdriver, hammer and their own hands.๐Ÿคฃ

Ever wondered why the 450F guys care (or get pissed off) so much more about setup than the 250F or 2 stroke guys? It's because the bikes with more inertia and power can only be muscled so much.

Edited by numroe
muscling some bikes

Alright, today I got out and adjusted the sag, in which I cam up with the following:

On Stand - 19.56" or 496.82 mm

Off Stand (unloaded) - 17.41" or 442.21mm

Off Stand (loaded [full tank of gas & all riding gear]) - 15.88" or 403.23mm

Race Sag - 3.68" or 93.47mm

Free Sag - 2.15" or 54.61mm

With the above race sag, the spring lock collars are at the top of the shock threads, in which I can adjust for a little more race sag if needed, but not much (maybe another good 2 or 3 full turns tops)... Also, the free sag is over 2" as is, way beyond the 25-35mm (seems to be ideal from what I have read).

It looks like the 5.0kg rear shock is a little stiff for my wight (weighed in at 151.5 lbs this morning [166.5 lbs fully geared up]). ๐Ÿ‘

Dave