Sign in to follow this  

87 600 Brakes suck! Idea's?

1987 XL600R... Brake's blow! I want some decent braking as it could save my balls on hardtop. What are my option's? Thank's

Pad's are good/true, brake's bled. I will consider any option. I cannot live without good brake's.

Upgrades baby. cheap would be trying newer XR or CR calipers, braided brake lines, larger rotor would help a LOT (maybe not available for your wheels?) then aftermarket calipers and master cylinders. For $350 or so you could swap on a whole updated front end with better forks, newer wheels that you can buy larger rotors for, etc

I paid $150 for my CR (USD) forks/triples, $125 for a front wheel with rotor and axle and $90 for the conversion bearings to make it work (which are now available for half that fromAll Balls racing) XR250 front disk brake assembly that I'd paid $40 for (complete) sometime earlier bolted right on. Stock steering stops work just fine!!

This will actually be my dirt wheel as i'm having a motard (17" wheel) built. it will have a 320mm rotor that will (supposedly) make a BIG difference. Could't get one for my old XR wheels. 👍

DSC00026-1.jpg

Upgrades baby. cheap would be trying newer XR or CR calipers, braided brake lines, larger rotor would help a LOT (maybe not available for your wheels?) then aftermarket calipers and master cylinders. For $350 or so you could swap on a whole updated front end with better forks, newer wheels that you can buy larger rotors for, etc

I paid $150 for my CR (USD) forks/triples, $125 for a front wheel with rotor and axle and $90 for the conversion bearings to make it work (which are now available for half that fromAll Balls racing) XR250 front disk brake assembly that I'd paid $40 for (complete) sometime earlier bolted right on. Stock steering stops work just fine!!

This will actually be my dirt wheel as i'm having a motard (17" wheel) built. it will have a 320mm rotor that will (supposedly) make a BIG difference. Could't get one for my old XR wheels. 👍

DSC00026-1.jpg

Hey those are up side down forks:lol:🤣

1987 XL600R... Brake's blow! I want some decent braking as it could save my balls on hardtop. What are my option's? Thank's

Pad's are good/true, brake's bled. I will consider any option. I cannot live without good brake's.

How do the "bad" brakes on the '87 compare to those on the '84?

I find the rear drum brakes adequate on the early XL/XR's. One of the front discs was fairly wooden on one of them so I swapped over a spare Rotor I had laying about and it was all good again. Must have been something up with that particular rotor.,spared to the spares bin.

How do the "bad" brakes on the '87 compare to those on the '84?

My 84 i bought as a parts bike and only rode it once to check the motor/tranny. It has a crack in the sight glass of the master cylender so no great front brake's. I can't compare the 2 because of this.

I find the rear drum brakes adequate on the early XL/XR's. One of the front discs was fairly wooden on one of them so I swapped over a spare Rotor I had laying about and it was all good again. Must have been something up with that particular rotor.,spared to the spares bin.

Yes the rear is fine and i can lock it at will. I don't think i could lock my front tire on pavement even if i wanted to. There is alot of mush in the front brake, and i have to go to half lever pull to make any brake power.

Even pushing it in my dirt driveway it doesn't want to lock the front tire (with heavy lever pressure). I pulled the pads off and trued them up, sanded the rotor, and made sure there was no grease (lots of brake cleaner) But it made no difference. That's when i decided to bleed.

Even if i went to braided line's i'm guessing my gain would mainly be a nicer lever feel and no real brake power gain's?

I guess i should start swapping parts and see what i find. Maybe one of my piston's is seized or something funky going on.

I don't want to do stoppies but from 65mph or so it takes longer than i think a bike should to stop.

It's starting to sound like a sticking caliper piston is a possibility. You might try swapping calipers to see if there is any difference.

Yes the rear is fine and i can lock it at will. I don't think i could lock my front tire on pavement even if i wanted to. There is alot of mush in the front brake, and i have to go to half lever pull to make any brake power.

You sure you're not describing my '86?🤣

Sounds just like mine. Back end is fine, I'm happy with it. The front is a little weak and mushy. I thought it was just time for new pads and a general "going over" on mine. I haven't touched the front brakes since I got it last year, though I haven't rode it much either. I haven't even pulled the pads off to see what they look like.

I'll be watching the thread to see if you get yours working better with the stock parts. If so, I may be going over mine soon enough. If not, I probably won't bother for a while! 👍

I upgraded my front with a 280mm EBC rotor. WOW,what a difference! One finger stops now.No more full fisted rolling to a stop.

Well worth the 100 bucks or so..

She is all good now. For future reference for anyone here's what i did. Pulled the caliper again to see if a piston was sticking (there's 2). One piston kept going out and one would pulse (pumping lever off bike but attached to brake line's)

I then clamped the moving piston to force the other to come out and it did just fine. I now opened the bleeder and used a clamp to press both piston's back in to the seat.

Installed it all then bled the brakes again. It still felt exactly the same in my driveway but i went for a 4 mile ride anyway.

It was half way thru the ride and i did a 60 mph as quick as it would stop stop. Then all the sudden Brakes! I know the pads were clean and i faced them to true them up and clean them.

My rotor does have some grooves but not excesive. Pads are ebc kevlar if that makes any difference.

I don't know if the pads needed to break into the rotor again after the facing, or if the piston moving helped to clear it up. Either way i belive i could lock my front wheel on hartop if i needed to and i can front end drop with one finger.

Nice! One of these days I'll have to take mine down and see if I can accomplish the same. 👍