Sign in to follow this  

Imported bike UK to Japan... FCR 39 jetting ???s

Hiya..

Just picked up my 2007 DRZ 400 SM from Customs and lmmigration this week. 4,000 miles on the clock. The previous owner did a fair amount of modding exactly 800 miles ago...

434cc JE piston kit 12:1 CR

E airbox

E head including cams

E model FCR 39

E cdi

Full DEP exhaust(apparently this would be similar to an E exhaust)

l have the receipts from both the engine builder and the Suzuki dealer who did their respective parts to the bike. TTS Performance did the rebuild and according to the receipts and confirmation emails, split the cases and replaced most of the bearings at the same time(not sure why they didn't throw in the +4mm crank right there and then, but whatever...). Steve Jordan's Suzuki did all the carb work.

So... the carb is now set at...EMN needle used...

150 main jet

45 pilot jet

65 starter jet

Mixture screw 2 turns out

200 main air jet

60 pilot air jet

The bike came from around the London area. My elevation here range from 300 meters to almost 900 meters depending on where l am driving. Most will be below 600 meters, though.

Are the above specs acceptable? lf/when l install the SSW/MRD pipe will l need to adjust these settings?

By the way... this bike came here by ship with the battery disconnected and the wires all taped up. l filled the tank with premium gas, connected the wires, primed the carb and she fired up on the first push!

Hopefully it will be warm enough to go for a spin soon (👍)

Thanks in advance for your advice!

you will need a bigger main jet with the exhaust.. maybe 160 but i'm not familiar with the slant FCR

Sorry I can`t help with advice but sounds like a nice set up you have!

Where are you in Japan? If you get down Osaka way give us a shout, we`ve got a few DRZ riders down here and there are some great trails around!👍

Plenty warm enough for riding most of the year here....

Jetting looks ok to me with the current bigbore set up, i take it the snorkel is removed from the air box ?, with the MRD you will prob want to go to a 155 main , im sure Eddie will know for sure 👍

Thanks for your comments guys!

Not sure about the snorkel. Haven't gotten that far with the inspection. lt's an E airbox so would the snorkel still need to be pulled?

l have never ridden a stock DRZ so really have nothing to compare this bike to... other than my Mk 1 GSF 1200 which is obviously in a different league.

Seriously thinking of an MRD for this bike. May not be the first in Japan but would definitely be the only one up here in Hokkaido!

Doc... if l make it to the "mainland" l'd for sure be down with checking out the trails around Osaka! Thanks for the invite(👍)

Just take the seat off and you'll see , yes if its an E airbox and has the snorkel in still , pulling it out will give you the 3x3 hole without cutting the airbox like needed on an s and sm airbox when doing the 3x3 mod

It wont howl to the red line like a straight 4 but once you get used to how the power is delivered you'll have a whole load of fun , my last bike was an R1 and the DR doesnt have the raw power but ive had loads of fun on it:thumbsup:

By all accounts the MRD SSW is the pipe to have 👍

Nice one!

l'll check it out in the morning. Right now it's just turned beer o'clock here (^_-)

lf the snorkel is in there and l pull it out, will l need to adjust the jetting to deal with the extra air flow?

l am keeping my fingers crossed for a sunny day tomorrow. There's still snow on the sidewalks but the roads are clear. All l have done with this bike so far is fill it, connect the battery and fire it up. Oh... and stare at it quite a bit.

Yes you will most likely have to go up a size or 2 on the main jet if you take out the snorkel

Enjoy your beer , weather is set to be rubbish over here tomorrow:doh: