Sign in to follow this  

Chopping my Silencer

So I have an 05' YZ 250 in my garage with a FMF TC2 spark arrested Silencer installed. I don't NEED a spark arrestor in Oregon until summer or I do some kinda organized race or run of somekind. I have my old, stock Yamaha silencer hanging on the wall and I thought I might have some fun with it. I have heard of riders chopping their pipes to bring more bottom end, is this true? If I turn this thing into a 'shorty' will it work? Will I lose/gain power? Or will it just be a loud POS??

it will improve top end not bottom. It will also be louder and probably more barkier, but not by too much. I wouldn't be surprised if you do not exceed the 96db limit as long as you don't go ridiculously short.

I had a shorty for one ride. Fun times. LOUD as hell. The lower portion of mid-range power was very strong and hit hard. Definitely less predictable power response. I got rid of it after one ride. Too loud IMO for public land usage.

I had a shorty for one ride. Fun times. LOUD as hell. The lower portion of mid-range power was very strong and hit hard. Definitely less predictable power response. I got rid of it after one ride. Too loud IMO for public land usage.

louder than an fmf shorty you would say?

louder than an fmf shorty you would say?

The shorty I had was a PC R304 stainless shorty, not the ghetto one. It had one ride on it so the packing was good. You really should try one just to know. They're fun to ride but not a long term deal if you don't ride private property.

This is actually a really clever idea, and I'm willing to try it. If i get a rivet gun I'm in 👍

OP

If you do this. post some pics

I did it and had it on my bike for 2 rides, loud and unimpressive. It now resides, custom mounted and chopped, on a DS80 where it works wonderfully. 👍

Loud pos in my opinion.Don'y waste your time.

I don't think chopping the OEM can will be similar to a FMF or PC shorty. Noise, maybe but performance - unlikely.

Conversely if you can find two stock silencers and weld them together they make an excellent quite can for very cheap.

I don't like the shorty (FMF) on my 05. It feels like there is a little more snap off the bottom but it kills any over rev. We checked lap times on an MX track with two different riders and found the stock setup to be slightly better, on average. If you cut it, don't take off more than two inches. Yamaha knew what they were doing when they designed this system IMO.

• Like 1

I dont like the shorty on my yz 250, but shortening a stock unit is easy to do and works as well as an expensive aftermarket silencer does. I did a bunch of them for my 97 yz 250 and it went well.

One thing that will help is this. Now, make sure your silencer works the same....This was for a 97 silencer, nto a newer one.

I found out it was easy to shorten the thing if I left it together while cutting it instead of cutting the outside, then doing the core as another cut.

Also, but metal pop rivets to put it back together with, not aluminum. The alloy rivets tended to fall apart.