Sign in to follow this  

200cc Vibration & exhaust popping.

hey all,

my 200cc skyteam with lifan engine has started to vibrate alot more than it use to. especially when trying to pick up speed. It seems like its coming from the engine - i have inspected and tightened all bolts, but to no avail. Is there anything inside the engine that could cause this?

Have also got a bit of popping in when I decelerate, nothing major, but would a leak where the muffle meets the pipe be causeing this?

Cheers for any info

peace up.👍

hey all,

my 200cc skyteam with lifan engine has started to vibrate alot more than it use to. especially when trying to pick up speed. It seems like its coming from the engine - i have inspected and tightened all bolts, but to no avail. Is there anything inside the engine that could cause this?

Have also got a bit of popping in when I decelerate, nothing major, but would a leak where the muffle meets the pipe be causeing this?

Cheers for any info

peace up.👍

Flywheel Loose? Will Vibrate & Cause Ignition Troubles If Its Loose Or Key Is Shearing. Just My 2 Cents Worth.

is the vibration a sound from the engine like a sharp rattling or can you feel vibration increase at certain rpms in the handlebars themselves? Engine noise is oil change and valve adjustment and the rattle will go away. Vibrations could be broken motor mounts or loose hardware but you said you checked it. Popping is caused by a leak in the exhaust anywhere. Happens to me all the time. I get "head to pipe" seals from METRICpartsHQ.com. They have done me wrong in the past and then made it up big time. I figure they will help you out too. -BIG DAN:thumbsup:

thanks for the reply guys.

The vibration can be felt mainly at higher revs through the handlebars, footpegs, and seat.

Since posting I have taken off the muffler and give it a run to see if the virbration still occurs, which it does. My old man and I did some feeling around with a bit of wood, and the vibration seems more prone to the exhaust and frame- the engine seems to be ok, though it is due for its first service - valve clearance & timing and all that. The oil was changed about 5 rides ago, but is probably due again.

I tightened the nuts where the exhaust joins the head, they where a little loose, and when re- assembling the muffler, added some high heat silicone to seal it up (i think that's where the leak was coming from)

Yet to start it since doing that - giving the silicon curing time.

I understand that china bikes do have a bit of vibration anyways, but this seems way too much.

Will post again once tested and let you know how it goes 👍

Thanks again

pushrod motors can be really vibey at high rpms, but maybe you have the OHC lifan? It should be smoother. -BIG DAN:thumbsup:

Oil change... oil change....

Yeah thats a pushrod motor. I have two that I ride daily. High revs mean all the moving parts are moving really fast. Causes some gnarly vibrations if you aren't used to fourstrokes. Remember to keep your hands light on the bars, you should be grabbing the bike with the knees. -BIG DAN:thumbsup:

PS: Try adjusting the valves if you want, It requires a new gasket most of the time... get parts before you tear it apart. You can buy make your own gasket material here where I live.

OK, so I went for a test drive yesterday.

The leak in the exhaust being fixed has given it a little more power off the mark. The vibration is still there. However, it seems engine based, though all the bolts are done tight. Once the bike hit its high revs, it doesnt seem to produce anymore go forward, just turns into a vibrating machine. Perhaps I'm just unaware of my revs expecting it to go faster, but am just getting valve bounce or something?

It was a little smoother after the things I've done. Maybe just the way the bike is.

You recommend another oil change? What sort of oil? Currently filled with castrol 4t, but does it really matter what numbers they are? or brand, or even bike/car?

OK, so I went for a test drive yesterday.

The leak in the exhaust being fixed has given it a little more power off the mark. The vibration is still there. However, it seems engine based, though all the bolts are done tight. Once the bike hit its high revs, it doesnt seem to produce anymore go forward, just turns into a vibrating machine. Perhaps I'm just unaware of my revs expecting it to go faster, but am just getting valve bounce or something?

It was a little smoother after the things I've done. Maybe just the way the bike is.

You recommend another oil change? What sort of oil? Currently filled with castrol 4t, but does it really matter what numbers they are? or brand, or even bike/car?

10w40 Car Oil Is Ok If Changed Often, Recomend Bike Grade Oil To Keep Clutch Happier. Been Runnung Castrol 10w40 Bike Oil In My One China 125 & Currently Has 200+ Hours Without Issues. . But Please Do Your Own Homework On What Feels Best To You.. But Synthetics Are Not Friendly With Clutches. You Figure There Are Alot Of Vintage Hondas Etc. Still Running Strong Today & Synthetics Werent Around Back Then...Just My 2 cents.P.S. If Your In Hi Temps Alot TRy 20w50.

First off I see someone recommending you use any car oil or bike oil 10w40 however that's incorrect. 10w40 4 stroke motorcycle oil is designed without Friction reducer as it needs to operate the clutch where a car has a separate oil for motor and transmission so a car oil has those friction reduction additives that do not belong inside your chinese pit bike or any Japanese bike, European bike..etc.. . Always Google and check your advice to make sure the person isn't blowing retard smoke up your ass. That person saying it doesn't matter what oil you use is obviously new to motorcycles and is not qualified to even answer something simple like oil to use   

Edited by PitBikeDave32

It's really annoying to read Internet mechanics answers . And by Internet mechanic I mean an untrained person who's watched a few youtube videos and done an oil change so now you're Mr know it all. If you haven't wrenched bikes for a few years just shut the &%$#@! up. I've seen everything from this shit to people recommending mixed fuel in a 4 stroke for extra lube. Don't you all figure the engineers with the degrees and the guys who built these bikes and cars wouldn't know the best way to run a 4 stroke motor.??? Always use manufacturer recommended fuel oil and parts... PS lifan motors always vibrate like a bitch. Extra big seat and loosen the grip on your bars will help reduce the uncomfortable feeling of eye sight vibrating and shit like that.