Sign in to follow this  

upper chain roller on dr650se

Hi guys, im new here, with first post. A newby in need of some help.

I bought my 1996 dr, purple and white, a month or so ago and i've been reading around different forums trying to get some insightful things one should do to the beast. I've read about the NSU thingy, and the removal of the 'upper chain roller'. Now everywhere where I have looked and read about this i still can't identify where the heck it is on the bike. I have probably looked,l touched and said 'ahhhh, this might be it' at it, but im not sure. so i decided to ask you people if you can help me. and what is involved with its removal.

Also if there is anything else you think i should remove or put on the bike, would be good for me to hear it, as the dr is my first legal bike.

Many thanks

Mike

Follow the top half of your chain forward from the rear sprocket towards the front sprocket. Look a couple inches above the chain and on the backside of a frame tube for a bolt going thru the roller.

Ok so I was wrong. Looks like I don't have one anymore. All i see is there's a hole in the frame a couple inch above the upper chain. Must have been taken off already. What about the hole though? ANy suggestions??

What about lower chain roller? This I think is just behind the top of the stand just below the lower chain. Is it best to keep on or take off??

Ok so I was wrong. Looks like I don't have one anymore. All i see is there's a hole in the frame a couple inch above the upper chain. Must have been taken off already. What about the hole though? ANy suggestions??

What about lower chain roller? This I think is just behind the top of the stand just below the lower chain. Is it best to keep on or take off??

You have to keep the lower roller in place. Replace it with a bearing'd roller if it hasn't already been done. Use an 8mm set screw with some locktite to plug the threaded boss in the frame where the Voodoo top roller once was. 👍

Excuse me for being not just a newbie to TT but also to bikes.

How will I be able to tell if the roller is a bearing'd one or not.

Excuse me for being not just a newbie to TT but also to bikes.

The stock roller is just a plastic over a shaft. It's likely someone has already replaced this on a 96 year model. Does'nt hurt to check it anyway since they don't last forever. 👍

Edited by mx_rob

One has a bearing, the other one doesn't. 👍

IMG_2687.jpg

thanks luckas. Photo helps.

Your answer is correct:worthy: 🙂

I kinda got that though. I was thinking more how it operates, instead of its labeling, coz its on the bike covered in old chain oil, grime and grease, and i really didn't know the difference. Helpful as your photos are Im assuming now one is able to rotate and the other just stays still.

Great wisdom hath been passed down unto me.🤣

Im just starting out, dappling with this bike. First bit of mechanical type work i've done so don't know anything really.

I really didnt know what a bearing did. 👍 Whoops :jawdrop:

:applause:

No worries mate, it was just too good to pass up.🤣

They both turn, one just does so more smoothly, quietly and probably with a bit less wear (as it needs less friction before it turns). Either will work. 👍

🤣 im wrong again 🙂

Luckas thou art mine shinning light 👍 be to Luckas

:applause:🤣

i do tickle myself sometimes :jawdrop: