Sign in to follow this  

milk again (still)

Somehow I missed my mid fall oil change and put 4K of cold riding on the poor girl:busted:. I have always had a problem with milky crap around the clutch cover and stuff, but now I have a layer on top of the oil in the window. I run mobil 1 syn 10w30 or 10w40 when it's warm. I cover the oil cooler when it less than 60F. This still only gets the oil (at the spare drain plug) to 160 or so when it's 30F. My commute is 15 miles of side roads, Temps stabilize after about 5 miles and I do an 80 mile one way ride to my camp once or twice a month. My oil fill cap hollow was full of it (good way to see if you have it)

I know more frequent changes, help, but what else can I do??? I changed the oil a few weeks ago, ran it for a week and changed it again. I did that on a warm day right after running the piss out of it. I let it drain for a long time and threw the bike around a lot. Didn't see much milk in the pan. When I filled it with fresh oil I could see a layer thru the window. I also cleaned the vent tube, which had a little crap in it but not much. I was debating on shortening that tube, maybe use one peice of the tube and just have a hump from the case vent to the air box?? maybe get a snuggy for the case:lol:

Thanks

Are you parking the bike outside? I got a bit of that moisture in mine when leaving it out, just one time. It takes more than 15 miles of riding to burn the moisture out of the engine. If it has a LOT of moisture, I'd not try and burn it out rather a couple of oil chx. then a looong ride if possible. When the temps are cool like where we live this time of year, my engine never gets above 260 at the head no matter how long i ride it. My last ride was at 34 degrees if that means anything to you. That cold air really does keep the motor cool. Too cool to effectively burn off moisture in the crankcase. The oil is warming up but not enough, IMHO.

Shortening the vent tube will just end up dumping more oil into your air box. Un fortunately condensation is going to happen with temp extremes. And that gray matter that is oil and water emulsified is some nasty stuff. 👍 I don't know about the Snuggy though....🙂 Hey maybe slip a reptile aquarium warmer between the skid plate.🤣

Are you parking the bike outside? I got a bit of that moisture in mine when leaving it out, just one time. It takes more than 15 miles of riding to burn the moisture out of the engine. If it has a LOT of moisture, I'd not try and burn it out rather a couple of oil chx. then a looong ride if possible. When the temps are cool like where we live this time of year, my engine never gets above 260 at the head no matter how long i ride it. My last ride was at 34 degrees if that means anything to you. That cold air really does keep the motor cool. Too cool to effectively burn off moisture in the crankcase. The oil is warming up but not enough, IMHO.

It's garaged at night, but gets commuted daily and sits in the rain a lot. I guess I (or the DR) will have to live with it. Seeing how it does not mix with oil, I suppose it can't do much harm

Thanks

if it were me i would drain the oil leave the plug out pull the oil filter out leave cap off pull top oil line on cooler and remove rocker covers take a turkey baster and hose down oil system with solvent squirt in the rocker boxes and through oil cooler flush system let all drain over nite fill with fresh oil and a new filter and run bike couple of hours and change the oil and filter again and see if that doesent clear it up thats how i would roll.

How is the water levels in the radiator?? Head gasket?? Water pump seal??

It is a DR650 with air/oil cooling. It is not water cooled...

i have a 2004 yfz 450 and ive recently had a full rebuild, after a few weeks i had picked up a water leak which dripped from the water pump tell tale hole, changed seal and water leak stopped.

now i have a leak again aswell as milky oil, the engine runs great except after a few mins it will struggle to idle and then cuts out and struggles to restart.

also popping on exhaust when down shifting or general slowing.

any one have any ideas, im thinking about doing an oil & filter change and replacing the inner water pump seal while im at it.

A couple of you guys took a wrong turn somewhere. You need to drift back over to the waterpumper side of the room. By the way... puff, puff, pass!

By the way... puff, puff, pass!

Must have thought it was puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff,puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff,puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff,puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, 👍