American truck

Ok, I am about to do what I have always said I would never do and that's buy an America brand vehicle. So I want to see what you all recommend. I've pretty much have only owned only compact sized trucks and have never had a full sized. In the past 16 years, I have had 2 Toyota Tacomas and 2 Nissan Frontiers.

I am starting up a flooring business and need a bigger truck that can haul and store more and also function as a daily driver. My budget is tops $17K within my range are 2004-2007 F150, Ram and Titan. I need a crew cab style to fit a car seat for my family. I like the inside and outside looks of the F150 but the 5.4 seems like a dog compared to the Ram and Titan. Finding a Titan that meets by needs and budget is almost impossible in my area and I like Ram 1500s but I don't trust the reliability, just hear so much negatives about them. I will say that the Hemi is a joy to drive. So, I found a 04 F150 Lariat crew cab with 80K miles for about $14K. I am interested but what should I be looking out for with this truck, what major maintenance will be required? Any advice is much appreciated.

I'm looking for the best all around truck for comfort, reliability and performance. I like the looks and performance of the RAM but am unsure about the reliability of a higher mileage one and the interior is not that great. The F150 seems like the best combo, good interior and exterior but so so motor. I don't like the looks of the Silverados in the price range of what I can afford, but the 07+ are great looking trucks. I think I am really leaning toward buying the F150 Lariat. Again, I am looking to see what are the cost for say a timing belt and at what mileage should that be changed out. The F150 I am looking at has around 80K miles.

I'm looking for the best all around truck for comfort, reliability and performance. I like the looks and performance of the RAM but am unsure about the reliability of a higher mileage one and the interior is not that great. The F150 seems like the best combo, good interior and exterior but so so motor. I don't like the looks of the Silverados in the price range of what I can afford, but the 07+ are great looking trucks. I think I am really leaning toward buying the F150 Lariat. Again, I am looking to see what are the cost for say a timing belt and at what mileage should that be changed out. The F150 I am looking at has around 80K miles.

i'm totally opposite from you. i think the 99-06 chevy's look much better than the 07+. but hey, that's just me. but i also think you should look at a chevy, they're good trucks.

Ken, that's what all my friends are telling me... But it just seems like you can get more for your money buying American. Those trucks on CL are nice but I also need 4x4 for my fishing/camping/snowboarding trips.

IMO the problem with tundras is they screwed the pooch when they redesigned it. They look like what my pooch sometimes leaves on my front lawn.

I don't know what people get stuck on toys. My experience with them has been very expensive.

You can buy a nice Cummins, or powerstroke with your budget. They have more then enough power for you and cab space. Your wasting your money on a gasser imo, they cant work harder then a diesel. Also a diesel with 100K miles on it is nothing.

• Like 1

You can buy a nice Cummins, or powerstroke with your budget. They have more then enough power for you and cab space. Your wasting your money on a gasser imo, they cant work harder then a diesel. Also a diesel with 100K miles on it is nothing.

+1. I couldn't agree with you more. i bet you could find a nice 04 cummins crew cab for under 17 grand.👍

First don't EVER buy a flood salvaged vehicle!!

The Ford CC should have a lot of room in the cab...nice for when the whole family goes. The only real issue with the 2004 and newer models are getting the spark plugs out. And they run chains, not belts...The 5.4L does better on the road then when trying to get up to speed, I agree...

The Dodge doesn't have a real crew cab, just that Quad cab which is just a little bigger then an extended cab...Power from the 5.9 (don't bother with the V-6 or 5.2L V-8) isn't anything to write home about...

The Chevy has a great little engine the 5.3L...but do expect to throw some rpm if towing or hauling heavy when any real power is needed...The 4L60 isn't the strongest trans out there, but with treating it right 160-180K is about right...

Here in So Kal you won't find a reasonable diesel truck in that price range...

+1. I couldn't agree with you more. i bet you could find a nice 04 cummins crew cab for under 17 grand.👍

I would totally agree with getting a Diesel, My dad just found a 2001 Duramax with 80k crew cab and leather for $14k and its a great pickup, we pull a 28 foot flatbed with it. if your not into chevys that cummins motor should run for about ever if you maintain it and the 7.3 stroker is almost as good. they are out there, keep looking

I'll take an ugly Tundra that will run forever and be worth something when I sell it before I ever buy and American truck. Been there, tried it, not going back.

Well, there has to be some suckers to keep toyota in business...👍

I thoroughly checked out that F150 and had it for a hour. My mechanic friend said to pass because the rear end was clunking and will go out soon. I have considered a diesel but I don't know much about them at all as far as maintenance cost. Also, my wife won't give the ok to anything with over 100K miles on it. I am going to have to retract on my Chevy opinion. Drove a 05 LTZ and that engine felt stronger than the F150 and now I am really considering it.