Diesel powered

I figure the only real way to make a fairly light, non boring diesel motorcycle is for it to be turbocharged direct injection otherwise it is just an overweight, boring, very expensive lump.

I have seen several diesel military bikes. If it has "adequate" performance and is reasonably reliable it would make a good bike for the armed forces and they are nearly 100% Diesel powered.

If they are neither of the above, then the bike is just a curiosity.

Does Ural still make a peanut powered sidecar rig?

There is no application for a military motorcycle despite what I would like or what a Military contractor will try and tell you.

You cant up armor it, put ECM on it or ,,well i could go for pages.. But it really is a silly idea whos time is long past. I was assigned and rode a Kawasaki KLR250 in 1990.. I would not want to be the unlucky soldier today that was given the same vehicle assignment.

I have seen several diesel military bikes. If it has "adequate" performance and is reasonably reliable it would make a good bike for the armed forces and they are nearly 100% Diesel powered.

If they are neither of the above, then the bike is just a curiosity.

Does Ural still make a peanut powered sidecar rig?

We have had those in the Marines for atleast 9 years. That how long I have been in. Basically a KLR 650 with a IDI diesel. Never rode one but I know several Marines with the license for them. Said they were "OK" at best. There is a big thread on ADV rider about them. Look at the range and fuel capacity. Good MPGs!!

There is no application for a military motorcycle despite what I would like or what a Military contractor will try and tell you.

You cant up armor it, put ECM on it or ,,well i could go for pages.. But it really is a silly idea whos time is long past. I was assigned and rode a Kawasaki KLR250 in 1990.. I would not want to be the unlucky soldier today that was given the same vehicle assignment.

So if you have a base the size of say FT. Sill OK, Every soldier that needs to get from A to B needs a $115,000 fully armored humvee? There are tons of uses for Military MC's NOT in combat.

We have had those in the Marines for atleast 9 years. That how long I have been in. Basically a KLR 650 with a IDI diesel. Never rode one but I know several Marines with the license for them. Said they were "OK" at best. There is a big thread on ADV rider about them. Look at the range and fuel capacity. Good MPGs!!

I was a development/test rider on those bad boys when I was an instructor at the school at Camp Pen... Good times....

I would like to have one, but the price is just a little to much for what you actually get.

I was a development/test rider on those bad boys when I was an instructor at the school at Camp Pen... Good times....

I would like to have one, but the price is just a little to much for what you actually get.

That seems to be what most say. The price of admission just isnt worth it yet

👍

I'll agree to take my 24 years of experience in the military, current assignment on the army's largest and most populated post and say politely I disagree with your informed opinion. Garrison or tactical for different reasons, there are no good applications supportable and sustainable for a military motorcycle. IMHO..🤣

In any case, There are no current issue military motorcycles on the books and no mention that I'm tracking of the Army purchasing one in the near future, diesel or otherwise. Not sure on the other services.

NOTE I never said I personally would not want one, or that I personally could not make use of one.. on a military installation ( I ride my bike many days a week) 🙂

I am speaking to the overall application and usability to the military.

So if you have a base the size of say FT. Sill OK, Every soldier that needs to get from A to B needs a $115,000 fully armored humvee? There are tons of uses for Military MC's NOT in combat.

Yeah...I would think that modern communications have eliminated the need for the military motorcycle messenger.

Actually I think the reality is that helicopters replaced the horse and therefore the motorcycle, too. Air Cav and all that.

In any case, There are no current issue military motorcycles on the books and no mention that I'm tracking of the Army purchasing one in the near future, diesel or otherwise. Not sure on the other services.

I wonder who this guy works for....

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=73324

This guy is a marine..

mvg_vehicle_id_cycles_375.jpg

PFC Rogelio Guerra, vehicle operator with 3rd Bn 3rd Marines, riding an M1030 USMC motorcycle during Exercise Tandem Thrust 2001, Shoalwater Bay, Queensland, Australia, 15 May 2001.Motorcycles & Scooters have been used by the military since they became available early in the 20th century. Light and maneuverable, they displaced horses as mounts for scouts and messengers as well as for military police and other similar duties. They could travel without roads and had minimal requirements for fuel and maintenance. In World War II, they were heavily used by U.S. and Allied forces as well as by German, Russian, British and other armies. They have been largely replaced by jeeps, HMMWVs, or even ATVs in the modern period, although some remain in use by Special Forces, military police and for other special functions.

Olive-Drab.com

And they got rid of all of these?

155315.jpg

I also thought the Rangers were part of the ARMY...

Equipment

Each Ranger Battalion possesses 12 Ranger Special Operations Vehicles (RSOVs) for its airfield seizure mission. The vehicle is a modified Land Rover. Each vehicle carriers a six or seven-man crew. Normally, each vehicle mounts an M240G MG and either a MK-19 Grenade Launcher or a M2, .50 cal MG. One of the passengers mans an anti-armor weapon (RAAWS, AT-4, LAW, and Javelin). The main purpose of the vehicle is to provide the operation force with a mobile, lethal defensive capability. They are not assault vehicles, but useful in establishing battle positions that provide the force some standoff capability for a short duration. Each Battalion also possesses ten 250CC motorcycles that assist in providing security and mobility during airfield seizures. Most commonly used as listening posts/observation posts (LP/OPs), or as an economy of force screen for early warning, the motorcycles offer the commander tactical mobility. (Chapter 3 SPECIAL OPERATIONS FORCES Reference Manual)

id_klr2250_d8_full.jpg

But maybe OBAMA did away with all of those...

m2-feature-slide.pngM1030‐M2 670cc JP8 Military Motorcycle Release - July 2009

HDT - Hayes Diversified Technologies, Inc. releases production version of its new M1030‐M2 670cc JP8 Military Motorcycle using proprietary and patent pending Gen 4 engine with MAC‐CiTM Advanced Multifuel Technology. The M1030‐M2 670cc JP8 is capable of operating on JP8, JP5, JP4, AVTUR, JET‐A1, Diesel and even Biodiesel. The M2’s refined chassis with newly engineered swingarm improves handling while its 5 speed transmission and updated suspension enhance ridability. All new high performance illumination including standard IR and blackout lighting improve tactical performance. An updated exhaust system meets more stringent noise and emission regulations while still maintaining peak performance.MAC‐CiTM Advanced Multifuel Technology - January 2010

HDT – Hayes Diversified Technologies, Inc. releases the latest iteration of its record‐setting military motorcycle engine. Designated the Gen 4 670, the engine produces 33 Hp and 53 Nm (38 ft‐lbs) of torque or 20% more power over the previous version. The engine uses HDT’s latest MAC‐CiTM Advanced Multifuel Technology which makes it capable of operating on JP8, JP5, JP4, AVTUR, JET‐A1, Diesel and even Biodiesel. The Gen 4 670 is currently on used in HDT’s M1030‐M2 670cc JP8 military motorcycle however HDT is exploring other vehicle applications.

a4-feature-slide.png

Hayes is still making these...

They are the company that set 8 world records with diesel motorcycles at Bonneville.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/4229604.html

Edited by Goebz

• 4 months later...

Ural is still making bikes I think. I see em come up on Craigslist from time to time and have a friend who uses it year round as his pickup! He likes the fact that it is 2wd and can climb anything. They are cool looking and the engine looks easy enough to work and, and my friend says parts are still available. Only bumber is that lack power for american freeways. They won't to 70 with power so spare. Especially with a side car.