Interesting hotcams tidbit

Some of you may remember that a long time ago I did some dyno testing with various cam set ups. My conclusion was that as far as hotcams go, I thought that a stage 1 intake cam retimed to 104 deg lobe center with a stage 2 exhaust cam retimed to a 108 lobe center performed the best of any hot cam set up I tried. This set up was almost identical to the Web 192/192+2.5 cams I had. Well I was just browsing hotcam's website and noticed that they now offer more cam options for the YZ250F, some of which are called the "gold series" cams, costing more than the normal stage 1 or stage 2 cams, and supposedly performing better. Glancing at the specs on them, I noticed that the stage 1 gold series cams are almost identical to the stage 1 in/ stage 2 ex set up retimed to 104/108 lobe centers. The only real difference is the stage 1 gold series exhaust cam has slightly less lift than the normal stage 2 cam, but 4 more degrees of duration. Personally I feel like the normal stage 2 exhaust retimed to 108 lobe center would perform better, but I haven't gotten to try the gold series cam yet.

Hello guys i'm new on here i just got a 08 YZ250F want to set it up for the woods i would like to put athena BBK.If so would i be able to us WR250 cams to keep it in lower RPM's. What i'm thinking is it would help keep it from geting hot & keep the tire planted on the ground didn't know if anyone has tried this or if any one has any input 👍

Hello guys i'm new on here i just got a 08 YZ250F want to set it up for the woods i would like to put athena BBK.If so would i be able to us WR250 cams to keep it in lower RPM's. What i'm thinking is it would help keep it from geting hot & keep the tire planted on the ground didn't know if anyone has tried this or if any one has any input 👍

Nah, just use less throttle or a G2 throttle cam if you must.

You don't think with the yz cams it will get to hot & not to sound stupid what exactly is a G2 throttle cam 👍

Nah, just use less throttle or a G2 throttle cam if you must.

Thanks for the web page i'll have to try the trottle cam it would help where i ride there are lots of rock & roots. Have you ever riden YZ250F with BBK in it

Thanks Chic 👍

No on the BBK but I have ridden YZ250 smokers for years on rocks and roots. No throttle cam but I did have a Rekluse Pro auto clutch. It depends on your size really how much force each bike will exert on you.

• 5 years later...

Some of you may remember that a long time ago I did some dyno testing with various cam set ups. My conclusion was that as far as hotcams go, I thought that a stage 1 intake cam retimed to 104 deg lobe center with a stage 2 exhaust cam retimed to a 108 lobe center performed the best of any hot cam set up I tried. This set up was almost identical to the Web 192/192+2.5 cams I had. Well I was just browsing hotcam's website and noticed that they now offer more cam options for the YZ250F, some of which are called the "gold series" cams, costing more than the normal stage 1 or stage 2 cams, and supposedly performing better. Glancing at the specs on them, I noticed that the stage 1 gold series cams are almost identical to the stage 1 in/ stage 2 ex set up retimed to 104/108 lobe centers. The only real difference is the stage 1 gold series exhaust cam has slightly less lift than the normal stage 2 cam, but 4 more degrees of duration. Personally I feel like the normal stage 2 exhaust retimed to 108 lobe center would perform better, but I haven't gotten to try the gold series cam yet.

I hate to bring up an old thread but i was reading about cam timing and was thinking about this setup. i have a hotcams stage 2 exhaust and to set it to 108 lobe center, could i not just move it one tooth as the cam card says 102.5 lobe center???

vzfxci.jpg

• 1 year later...

one tooth on the 32 tooth cam sprocket is 11.25 degrees (360/32). I was originally thinking that because the crank had half as many teeth (16) as the cam when I moved the cam one tooth it would change the lobe center by half (5.75 degrees). This is not the case. for every degree the cam is rotated the cam lobe center is doubled. In this particular case to move the exhaust center from 102.5 to 108 (change of 5.5 degrees) the cam gear must be pressed off and pressed back on rotated 2.75 degrees.