Wont start

I bought a used 04 YZ250 2 stroke. Rode it for an hour or so and was costing into the garage and it died. I have not been able to get it started since. I cant even get a pop. It has fuel and good spark. I cleaned the air filter which was very dirty. The spark plug is getting very wet though with or without the choke. Where should I go next to get it running? Check the pilot air screw mixture setting?

Most likely you have a carburetor problem and should be taken apart, cleaned, check what jetting is in it and set the float height. There are threads listed in the sticky above that will help with the jetting. In the meantime, pull the plug, leave the fuel turned off and kick the bike over a number of times to clear the cylinder and crankcase of excess fuel – you will most likely see quite a bit fogging coming out. Once it clears, put in a new plug and try to start it, again with out turning on the fuel – I would start out with using full throttle and see if it at least pops.

You most likely will get it to start, but don't neglect doing the carburetor as you will read here in this forum the carb is key in getting more power and a better running scoot. Good Luck!

Thanks for the advise....Let me ty it out. I am getting fuel because the plug is getting very wet. In fact I think I am getting to much fuel. I took off the carb and inspected it and it appears clean. Since it was running when I bought it I have not checked out all the jet and needle settings in the carb yet but it is on my to do list.

I dont know the last time the top end was done. What symptoms does it exhibit if the top end needs to be redone? Also it looks like they went through some deep mud/water because the air clean and the air cleaner comparment were covered with mud/dirt. My guess is they did one last hurrah before selling it so it would not suprise me if the top end needs to be done as well. I did take the carb off and looked inside. It look clean but I have not done any work to it.

I am not sure of the float level. I need to measure. I will check the tank venting as well. I am at 1700 ft in Tucson. Temp about 80. I have not looked at the jetting yet. The plug is getting very wet but I even dropped in a brand new plug and I cant even get a pop out of it which even if it is getting to much fuel I would think I would get something. Also the first time I rode it it started pouring fuel out the carb over flow so I inspected the needle valve and seat but they looked ok. I put the carb back together and it has not done it since.

since it was running good when I got it I thought I may noy have to do much with it but I am starting to think about just going through everything with a fine tooth comb and get a base line on every.

sounds like how my bike was.... i bought it and it ran good/started first kick every time... then all of a sudden thngs kept on hapening like bogging down low, starting problems ect.... i thought it was just he carb like everyone does but that wasnt the case.... i needed a new top end (which im in the middle of doing right now)... if i was you i would clean the carb really good, check the float lvl as obrianmcc said, buy a weisco piston kit that fits your bike ( your gonna need one eventually) drain all of the gas you have now out and dont put any in the tank untill everything is cleaned/repaired..

make sure you have seals/clamps where the carb meets the rubber boot and engine cause if air/dirt gets through there then it can put everything out of wack....its kinda hard to tell if you "need" a top end without actually taking the cylinder off and checking the piston out (which is worth it if you have the time)... so do a compression test and tell us your results.... sorry if this is long i just like getting into details while explaining lol