Sign in to follow this  

need chain and sprocket advice

going today to get new chain and sprocket. right now it is stock 13/48 and i think i want to go 13/50. ive been riding track and im in the balance of 2nd and 3rd so i think if i go to a 50 rear i can leave it in 3rd more. but the main thing is chain, what kind should i get i hear on some i need to space the front sprocket? so any advice on a good chain would be nice ....thanks

I tried 13/50 for MX and it was too low for me. 13/49 works better on the tracks around here. I would suggest a DID520VT2 narrow x-ring chain and MSR/Ironman sprockets. That chain works without any shim, and that combo will outlast the rest of the bike.

well being that i weigh 225 and im 6'2 im think a 50 tooth for me would be the same as a 49 tooth for a lighter rider?

well being that i weigh 225 and im 6'2 im think a 50 tooth for me would be the same as a 49 tooth for a lighter rider?

Probably depends on your skill level and how much corner speed you carry. I'm 210lb and I found that I had to over-rev 3rd too much while approaching jumps with the 13/50, which forced me into 4th gear more often.

Probably depends on your skill level and how much corner speed you carry. I'm 210lb and I found that I had to over-rev 3rd too much while approaching jumps with the 13/50, which forced me into 4th gear more often.

well the tracks i ride are pretty tight and i found myself comming out of corners in 2nd and reving pretty good to clear the jumps right after the turn then when i would try it in 3rd, it carried speed better but i found myself slipping the clutch a lot so thats why i figured i would go to a 50 rear so unless it was a real tight corner i could just stay in 3rd ....and my skill lever is low being i havent riden tracks in about 5 years, been riding desert . but now im getting back into tracks and trying to build up some speed but just having probs with stock sprocket set up

The 13/50 will probably work okay for you on tight tracks.

The 13/50 will probably work okay for you on tight tracks.

thanks a lot for the info im going to try the 13/50 and if its too much i will go with what you said the 13/49

thanks a lot for the info im going to try the 13/50 and if its too much i will go with what you said the 13/49

i like the 13 50

I tried 13/50 for MX and it was too low for me. 13/49 works better on the tracks around here. I would suggest a DID520VT2 narrow x-ring chain and MSR/Ironman sprockets. That chain works without any shim, and that combo will outlast the rest of the bike.

CamP recommended this setup to me and I am very pleased with it.

How many teeth above 48 can you go with the same length chain?

Probably 53.I had a 51 rear and had a real hard time whan I went to a 14 front. With a 50 rear you can use either a 13 or 14 front.

• Like 1

....and my skill lever is low being i havent riden tracks in about 5 years, been riding desert

What gearing did you use for desert riding?

I just bought a 2009 CRF450R and want to know what gearing I should go with.

What gearing did you use for desert riding?

I just bought a 2009 CRF450R and want to know what gearing I should go with.

for desert riding i really like the stock gearing 13/48 ...i did run a 13/49 for a little while and that was good too ..but like the stock setting better