Help me setup my RM250 for offroad

I have been riding/racing a KTM 450 exc. I just bought a low hour '03 RM250 thinking I will race enduro and some desert with it and try and save the wear and tear on the old body. I will keep the 450 (licensed) for longer dual sport rides or when I need a green sticker bike.

Maybe you experts can help me out with the best choices for skidplate, handguards, larger tank, radiator guards, spark arrestor, gearing and what ever else I may need.

Thanks

i like the IMS 3.2 gal tank (clear). i run flag style handguards. most of my serious offroad friends like the pro bend wrap around guards. get a good sturdy aluminum skid plate. fmf's turbine core II sparky. i like stock gearing, but i dont mind using the clutch either. get your suspension softened up a little from mx settings.

i like the IMS 3.2 gal tank (clear). i run flag style handguards. most of my serious offroad friends like the pro bend wrap around guards. get a good sturdy aluminum skid plate. fmf's turbine core II sparky. i like stock gearing, but i dont mind using the clutch either. get your suspension softened up a little from mx settings.

All good info. Maybe a flywheel weight but that's personal preference.

All good stuff i like the wrap around bark busters a lot and my IMS tank. i run a Hyde Skid plate pipe guard combo and other than it being kind of a pain to put on i really like it and seems to work good but it does like to pick up some mud. i also use a 13oz fly wheel weight and it lugs really good now and i would recommend one of those but just my opinion. i put and FMF Gnarly on and it has a good mid range hit now that fits my riding style really well. hope all that gives you some ideas about how you want to make your bike your own and is not just useless ramblings. good luck

I have a couple of RM250s - For Offroad I do like hand guards, bigger tank and more plush suspension. I also run a tall seat, tall bar and have lowered the foot pegs - I am 6' and while this may seem extreme for my height, the second RM I bought from a guy who was 6' 2", and he'd made those mods. That bike always felt so perfect, and when I went back to the original bike, it just didn't feel right anymore.

The tall seat lets me control the bike more with my legs. I've found "grip the tank with your knees" to be the best advice anyone ever gave me while riding.

Some people swear by an 18" rear wheel for offroad - it does allow for more tire flex and reduces your chances of pinch flats. It really depends on where you are riding. I ride mostly desert and have found I prefer the snap of the lighter 19" wheel.

I also run a flywheel weight - but you can get a similar effect with heavier steel sprockets, o-ring chain, and the 18" rear - the goal being to smooth out the power for more traction - a flywheel weight is also a great addition.

Bottom line is a stock MX bike will work offroad - so don't fee like you HAVE to make mods - so make mods as you need them. For example I added a huge offroad tank to my bike and find I am just carrying around extra weight most of the time since my fat ass friends don't exactly ride Baja 1000 length rides anymore (just remember you can always run 1/2 full - every gallon is 8 lbs!!)

I have a lot of tips on my blog - here is one about the peg lowering:

http://ride365.tumblr.com/post/337791568/bike-set-up-is-critical-dirt-bikes-are-designed

For example I added a huge offroad tank to my bike and find I am just carrying around extra weight most of the time since my fat ass friends don't exactly ride Baja 1000 length rides anymore (just remember you can always run 1/2 full - every gallon is 8 lbs!!)

I hear you there i have an IMS and i really like it but if none of my riding buddies can go that far what is the point of hauling all that gas? i don't fill mine to the top very often.

but overall i would recommend a big tank