Hey Bike Manufacturers, Start Building Some True Dual Sport Bikes

Not sure if reps from the "Big 4" lurk here to see whats going on, but if so, why don't you build some real dual sport bikes? Out here in Cali, you need a plated bike to ride most areas, and it's getting worse every year. Plating a non dualsport is a nightmare, unless you want to plate a fifteen year old bike. Certain models of KTM's and Husky's are selling like hotcakes out here BECAUSE THEY ARE PLATEABLE. Right now Honda has the 650L - too heavy, Kawi has a 250 - too small, and the KLR - just like the L, too heavy and underpowered. Not sure, but I haven't seen any Suks or Yami dual sports.

With the E.F.I. systems that will soon be on all bikes, emissions shouldn't be a problem.

So build us a lightweight 450 with a light kit and a plate, it will sell.

Not sure if reps from the "Big 4" lurk here to see whats going on, but if so, why don't you build some real dual sport bikes? Out here in Cali, you need a plated bike to ride most areas, and it's getting worse every year. Plating a non dualsport is a nightmare, unless you want to plate a fifteen year old bike. Certain models of KTM's and Husky's are selling like hotcakes out here BECAUSE THEY ARE PLATEABLE. Right now Honda has the 650L - too heavy, Kawi has a 250 - too small, and the KLR - just like the L, too heavy and underpowered. Not sure, but I haven't seen any Suks or Yami dual sports.

With the E.F.I. systems that will soon be on all bikes, emissions shouldn't be a problem.

So build us a lightweight 450 with a light kit and a plate, it will sell.

Buy a KTM or Husky. They're great and they already meet what you asking. Trust me, it's ok to ride something other than a Japanese bike. And, despite your friends telling you they'll disown you, end the end, they'll still be your buddy. 👍

Who the hell wants a dual sport that is a 450 and has crazy handle bar shake at 100km/h?

vibration, no power, not thank you... I'll take a 800GS or a KTM 690 adventure thank you very much...

The headshake is an easy fix (stabilizer). No power? Another easy fix. Vibration? Agreed. But, it's an off-road bike with a plate for connecting trails on roads and buzzing around town. It was never designed to be an adventure bike. The 800GS is phenonenal!

Dualsport bikes have to be the hardest for a mfgr. to please everyone. Some people want maximum performance and minumum weight regardless of vibrations and longevity. Others like middle of the road, and others could care less about weight and hp but want it to last forever.

Dualsport bikes have to be the hardest for a mfgr. to please everyone. Some people want maximum performance and minumum weight regardless of vibrations and longevity. Others like middle of the road, and others could care less about weight and hp but want it to last forever.

Combine that with dual sports being the smallest part of the motorcycle market, and it's no wonder they don't want to put any effort into it. Making five different dual sport models and selling about eight of each of them is not something Honda wants to get into.

Buy a KTM.

I'm with you on this.

I love my XR250R and would love to be able to ride it on the street for short distances, sometimes just down the street. An XR650R is just too much bike for the woods, and a CRF230L is just a little scooter bike to small for much. A proper sized 250 or 400 that's plateable would be perfect for me.

And I'd buy one in a heart beat..... as long as it's a couple of years old, near mint condition, under $2000, indestructible and tons of fun. 👍

Oh well.

Who the hell wants a dual sport that is a 450 and has crazy handle bar shake at 100km/h?

vibration, no power, not thank you... I'll take a 800GS or a KTM 690 adventure thank you very much...

It depends on your definition of dual sport. Not sure how you define it in Quebec, but in the lower 48, we usually define it as rides in the 100-200 mile range that consist primarily of good off-road riding connected with shorter distances of pavement. If they are multi-day, htey tend do be based around a base camp so you don't need to carry supplies on the bike. If you're talking about multi-day stuff with lots of road and the need to carry some supplies (camping supplies, change of clothes, spare parts and good tool set), we call that adventure riding. The bikes you talk about are perfect for adventure riding, but not really good for our style of dual sporting.

To the OP, as noted above, look at the Euro brands, KTM, Husky, GasGas, and Beta all make legitimate hard core dirtbikes that come with a 50 state legal street title, all it takes is a little bit of set-up to remove the EPA/DOT mandated stuff to get em to run just like their dirt only cousins and you are set. Instead of hoping the big 4 build a bike for you, support the brands that already do. Besides, you'll get a better bike anyways.

Edited by CBus660R

I still want Kawasaki to make a dual-sport KDX220 w/ a good fuel capacity! That is what I would consider a good dual sport for these mountains I live in.

However, that wouldn't be a practical dual sport for a lot of other riders or areas. Too bad we cant just go choose whatever bike we want dual-sported and send it to a service center and have it dual-sported ~

JM

I still want Kawasaki to make a dual-sport KDX220 w/ a good fuel capacity!

Never gonna happen with modern emissions regulations. Don't know how NC's BMV/DMV is, but in Ohio, we can plate whatever bike we want and it's up to us to make them as legal as we want. Case in point, my KTM is street plated and I have a 3.4 gal Clarke tank on it, I've done over 150 miles in a day more than once. Just carry a little oil with me and mix in tank at the gas station. Just make sure the petcock is closed and you lean the bike to the right, so the oil goes to the right side of the tank and not straight down to the petcock and into the carb. Add gas, shake well, and continue the ride.

To clarify a few things, here in Cali, up to a few years ago it wasn't that hard to plate a dirtbike. Now they have tightened the screws, even hear stories of guys getting letters from the DMV saying "turn in your plate". On top of that, lots of trails in certain areas are now being designated as roads, meaning you gotta have a plate. If you are caught unplated on these "roads", the fines can go well over a thousand dollars. Stupid politics in this state.

A few years ago, the talk around the campfire was "I'm thinking about getting an old 2 stroke". Now it's "sure would be nice to have a plate".

I have always been a fan of Honda's, but like Bryan said, if a new bike is in my future, guess it will be a KTM or Husky.

To clarify a few things, here in Cali, up to a few years ago it wasn't that hard to plate a dirtbike. Now they have tightened the screws, even hear stories of guys getting letters from the DMV saying "turn in your plate". On top of that, lots of trails in certain areas are now being designated as roads, meaning you gotta have a plate. If you are caught unplated on these "roads", the fines can go well over a thousand dollars. Stupid politics in this state.

A few years ago, the talk around the campfire was "I'm thinking about getting an old 2 stroke". Now it's "sure would be nice to have a plate".

I have always been a fan of Honda's, but like Bryan said, if a new bike is in my future, guess it will be a KTM or Husky.

I loved my CRF450R. I love my KTM just as much. Honestly, I don't see the step to a KTM or Husky being a big one at all.

I don't think the big 4 will ever be able to satisfy everyone in making a DS bike. Besides each states plating policies, Federal and state EPA regs, and each persons personal preferences how would they decide what the market is?

I want a Race-to-road ready bike: Out of the crate race ready(uncorked and tuned)Race suspension, wide ratio 6 speed tranny, EFI, HID headlight, lightweight and flickable, stabilizer, long range tank min. 2.5 gal. or 75+ mile range, 50 state legal, with a computer similar to a Trailtech Vapor.

My buddy wants a DRZ400 style, less the weight, longer range.

Nobody wants the price of the pumpkins.

Really, who decides?

Maybe the big 4 should design like cars, built to order: You pick a body style, pick your engine, pick your suspension, pick your traction. Add XM and bluetooth to helmet for $799. Wait 4 weeks for delivery, go to DMV, plate it, and smile.