Sign in to follow this  

2007 ktm 144

Can anyone help us out with why our KTM 144 blows up after 3 hours! You can't even depend on this bike to get through a moto! Frustrated and ready to get rid of it and tell everyone don't ever buy one.

Have you had the recall done? Most, if not all, of the 07 144s had something wrong with their exhaust ports and it would snag the ring; KTM supposedly fixed the problem but I spoke to a guy here who had his blow up a few hours after having the shop put the new cylinder on it. I wanted to buy one instead of my 250 but I heard way too many horror stories about the 07/08 bikes. I'm pretty sure it is fixed now though.

A few others had problems with the 07 model too. I believe there was a recall done...but then there were some who had great luck with it. You may have better luck in the KTM two-stroke section...a lot of knowledgeable people in there. It could have to do with jetting and mix ratio, but I cant say for sure.

edit: the person above me beat me to it. There was a recall after all. There could be a chance your bike didnt have the fix done. Get in touch with your local dealer and see if they can help you out.

Thanks for the info. We bought this bike from another person but do know for sure it was never taken in for the recall. He knew nothing about a recall. I will contact a dealer and see what they can do.

What jetting are you running? Some bikes were way lean from the factory..

What jetting are you running? Some bikes were way lean from the factory..

idk about ktms.... but yamahas come really rich from factory for break in.... then ur supposed to rejet after breakin... maybe the person rejetted it and then got it rebuilt and forgot about the leaner jets... idk... thats a weird situation...

idk about ktms.... but yamahas come really rich from factory for break in.... then ur supposed to rejet after breakin... maybe the person rejetted it and then got it rebuilt and forgot about the leaner jets... idk... thats a weird situation...

not always true my yz was lean as hell

We had that bike blow up 3 or 4 times even after KTM put 08 parts in the top end. This was a buddy's bike and it was the worst experience with a motorcycle that I have ever seen. Good luck

We had that bike blow up 3 or 4 times even after KTM put 08 parts in the top end. This was a buddy's bike and it was the worst experience with a motorcycle that I have ever seen. Good luck

👍 My 07 144 had a clutch basket blow up, go through 3 top ends, a cylinder and head, and finally a bottom end before I sold it off. I went back to a Honda 4-stroke and haven't looked back. Hands down the worst motorcycle I've ever had. It was fun when it ran though!

I was super close to getting one a couple years ago...so glad I didn't lol.

they had a cdi problem aswell, i had an 09, only kept for a few months then sold it on to a friend, the bike has blown up 3 times since and was only out 3 times with this lad.

first time the ring snagged on the exhaust port, cylinder just needed recoating.

next it just heat seized, piston was gone,

got a new piston, ran it in and now a peace of the cylinder cracked allowing coolant into the cylinder,

he now has a new cylinder on it and put the bike up for sale,

he also has a new 2010 150 on its way aswell,