Setting sag...???

The rear shock has a 2 nuts on it. Loosen the top one so you can adjust the bottom one which holds the spring. To raise your sag (making the bike softer and seat lower, move the nut up on the shock. To lower your sag (making the bike stiffer/firmer, move the nut down on the shock.

Assuming you have the right spring for your weight: just put the bike on a stand with the rear wheel off the ground and take a measurement from the rear axle nut to a fixed mark on your rear fender (use tape and make sure it is perpendicular to the axle). Write this number down.

Now take the bike off the stand and find a place you can stand on the bike in attack position while using one of your hands on a wall or tree to keep balanced and have someone take a measurement from the same two points. Bounce up and down on the suspension, rebalance yourself in the attack position and take the measurement again. Write these numbers down.

Now take the first measurement while the bike was on the stand and subtract the 2nd measurement from it. Then take the first measurement and subtract the 3rd measurement from it.

You are set correctly if the difference is:

95mm-105mm ----or----3.75"-4.25" (roughly)

Once you have it in this range or ideally at 4", ride with it and see how you like it. If you don't, you can now make minor adjustments to suit your riding style but stay in these ranges. Otherwise, your bike might handle like crap or screw you up off of jumps.

Hope this was plain english enough for you to get it set.

Hmmm...weird. Do it again except this time, get off the bike and lift the front and rear end...get back on...bounce up and down a couple of times...get in attack position and measure. Write the number down...then take the original number from when the bike was on the stand and subtract your new measurement from that number. It should be between 95mm-105mm ideally. If it is not...adjust your sag as I stated above and try it again until you are consistently in that range. let me know what u come up with.

Maybe, to begin with, you should set it while sitting on the seat instead of attack position since you have never done this. Make sure when you are leaning on the wall or tree that you are balanced...meaning...you should be able to hold yourself steady with just 1 finger, not your whole hand, as you may be "helping" the spring if you are leaning too much and will have inaccurate numbers.

Im going to do it again but the problem could be is that i had to convert it from inch to mm so i probably messed up. let me check real quick

don't worry about converting it. 4" is ideal + or - about a quarter inch.

Ok, just to clarify:

measurement 1) = bike on stand and measure from axle to fender at specific spot.

measurement 2) = bike on ground/rider on bike either sitting or in attack position with both feet on pegs and 1 arm on grip while other helping him balance as if he was actually riding the bike.

measurement 3) = same as (2) except rider got off the bike/lifted front and back end back up/got back on bike/ bounced up and down to get the suspension settled and then got back in the same attack position or sitting posistion and took another measurement.

Then:

measuement (1) - measurement (2) = x

measurement (1) - measurement (3) = y

x and y should be pretty darn close to each other and you would average them to get your sag reading.

Nice...so yoju are close. Now you need to adjust the nut on top of the spring down (clockwise) a few turns and recheck the same way. keep going down until the measurement = 4" and then tighten down the other nut (locknut) and go ride. Put in a full day at 4" and either leave it if you like it, or adjust as much as a quarter inch to suit your needs.

Right now, your bike is too soft and will feel bouncy at 4.5"

No worries. Do you have the manual for your bike? If not, you can download one from the yamaha (australia) website. It is a must have and contains almost everything you need to know to work on your bike.

Check back and let us know if you notice a difference once you are able to get the bike back together and ride it.?

Adding to the good input already noted....

http://www.tootechracing.com/suspension_tips.htm

Wear your riding gear when taking the measurement. Bounce up and down the pegs a few times before your friend takes the measurement from the EXACT same spots. I had a buddy use the wrong side of the tape measure in addition to creating his own start and stop points. It was classic.

In addition to the punch or old flat blade screwdriver, some use their hands if the forearms are small enough and the shock body is clean and not seized. Grab the spring at the bottom and twist in small increments. Or if you're lucky a young relative with something to prove (sibling rivalry, maybe?) can get in and twist til they pass out.

Went riding yesterday (Very wet) was going to try to set the sag better but i

dont have any tool to get into there to loosen it up besides using a screwdriver

as a punch but that hardly worked at all. Any ideas??