Sign in to follow this  

Leg swelling

Dr Mark. I am 2 years out from a broken leg. It was a Tibia break right below the knee. I have since Nov been working in a different job, on my feet most of the time and have noticed an considerable amount of swelling in the ankle and calf. I lost my insurance when I was laid off and had to go to the ER. They did not find anything bone wise, and said I had to go see a Orthopedic doctor. This can not be done, without insurance, so I ask you, is there anything I can do to prevent the swelling? Or to slow is down at least? It gets so bad, I cannot even buckle my boot sometimes. The swelling does go down with ice and elevation. Any help would be welcome. Thanks.

You might try getting a thigh high TED stocking and wearing that to work.

OK thanks. Any way you can explain what it is that is causing it to swell and why this stocking will help ?

When you broke the leg, it wan't just the bone that broke. The vessels, particulaly the veins, muscles and other tissues were injured too. We don't tend to concentrate on them because they are not seen on X-ray.

The end rsult of the venus injury is residual swelling. Compressing the tissues aids in blood return.