Sign in to follow this  

How does foot peg position change riding technique?

I'm about to buy some bigger pegs for my CR250. <TT thread in Honda two-stroke section> There are lots of options, and I see that at least one set of pegs is lower than stock, another set has an option to be located 1/2" further back from stock, and yet another has three different heights.

How much of an effect does the different height and forward/backward location have on riding technique?

i would say that lower footpegs are always good unless you cant have them, for example if you ride woods and you are scared of breaking your toes off.. they lower your center of gravity, and they make it a lot easier for you to transition between standing and sitting, improving your overall technique

^ No, I respectfully disagree. Most full size bikes are set up for a rider that is 5'10" tall. This has been studied by the factories and offers the optimum riding position.

If you are taller, then get a higher seat or lower pegs. If you are shorter, then shave the seat, have your bike lowered, or get taller pegs. I do not know the exact ratio but the mfg of the pegs can tell you what's appropriate for your height.

Also, stock pegs on a full size bike are set up for a size 8-10 boot. Bigger boots will like wider pegs and smaller boots will like narrower pegs. Again, this is for optimum feel and control.

In the end, if your are not able to ride B+ or better, you won't be able to tell anything other than it feels different.

I ride Z+ poorly and at 6'3" with a 36" inseam I can tell you that a taller seat and handlebars made a huge difference..... Footpegs are next. Size 13 boots suck.

yeah i guess you are probably right, i am 6'2 and ride with other tall people so i just figure lower pegs are better, but for a really short person it would be worse.