PA dirt bike owners- title question

I'm looking for my first dirt bike to learn off-road riding. I've found several prospects on Craigslist, but in speaking with the owners (usually teenagers!), I'm frustrated that none of the bikes have a title. I contacted PenDot and I might as well forget about trying to get one. It involves jumping through hoops and even court! Since it's an offroad bike, does it absolutely HAVE to have a title? What could happen if it doesn't have one....confiscation if Mr. Policeman catches me riding where I shouldn't and then assumes the bike is stolen? Sorry if these questions are common-sense, but dirt bike ownership will be new to me, and I'm stumped! Thanks!

I don't think I ever had a title for any off-road vechicle I owned while in PA. I'd get the vin's, run to make sure they aren't hot then get a signed bill of sale. I don't remember the process to apply for a lost title, but the penndot site should be be able to help you.

http://theftaz.azag.gov/

it says arizona, but there's a drop down for PA too.

I'm pretty sure they HAVE titles for them. I bought one registered originally in Erie, PA and it had a title. But, you don't NEED registration to ride public land in PA, you only need insurance. Which, you can get without a title.

I'd say just make sure it's not stolen by running the VIN and call it good.

It's really hard to get it titled? I know for a quad it's real easy. You give them the VIN, some proof of ownership like a bill of sale, money for title, registration, sales tax, etc. Why would they make it hard? They're getting several hundred bucks to send a piece of paper.

All new bikes sold in the last 20 years are supposed to have a title, but the titles get lost when the bikes get resold. I had a loan for one bike and never got the title from the bank when I paid it off. I got a duplicate title in the past for a DS bike, but I had a registration card to start from. The original (bought it new) owner may be able to get it more easily for you.

Off-road bikes sold off the Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Suzuki dealer's showroom floor ALL come with a thing that LOOKS like a title (and everyone calls a title), but is really called a Certificate of Origin.

It's the thing that identifies the bike with VIN, engine serial number, states the bike is not street legal, who built it, horsepower rating at the crankshaft, and shows what dealer sold it.

This is your proof of ownership, along with your bill of sale if you bought it second-hand.

If you were to try to put the bike through a conversion inspection and register it for street use, this is what you'd need.

If you were to register the bike with your state's Motor Vehicle Dept., then you'd get a title.

No yzetc in PA you get the title regardless if you buy new from a dealership. They send the origin into the state to get the title.

Not if you buy from out of state. I have a COO for my bike. I never got a title for it; that was the whole reason I got it out of state, so I didn't have to pay the sales tax and whatever title and doc fees PA charges.

Zao is right. I bought a used KTM that had the Cert of Origin and went to a notary to get a plate. They told me that it had to be titled by the previous owner and that techinically the bike is not mine, Ya whatever. Basically said that I needed to go through a bunch of legal garbage at the couthouse to get it titled so I can get a plate.

• 7 years later...

So I plan on buying a dirt bike this week but this is my first time buying a bike myself so I'm not too sure of what papers will need to be signed. I live in the state of PA so if I'm correct the bike should have a title. I need to know what the process in which I should get the bike in my name after purchasing it. Yes the bike does have papers with it.. thank you to anyone who can give me some help. 

10 hours ago, Jake97 said:

I live in the state of PA so if I'm correct the bike should have a title. I need to know what the process in which I should get the bike in my name after purchasing it. Yes the bike does have papers with it.. 

In PA, titles are transfered at a "title notary" there are usually several in each town. For example the AAA offices do it, and they are open Saturdays. Others are also open outside business hours.

The easiest way is for you and the seller to go, together, to the title notary. You show some ID, sign the paperwork in front of the notary, sign another form or two, and write a check. Takes under 30 minutes. You get a temporary title, new plate and the state mails you the full title in a week or two.

Google "pa title notary near me"

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 11:42 AM, pat22043 said:

In PA, titles are transfered at a "title notary" there are usually several in each town. For example the AAA offices do it, and they are open Saturdays. Others are also open outside business hours.

The easiest way is for you and the seller to go, together, to the title notary. You show some ID, sign the paperwork in front of the notary, sign another form or two, and write a check. Takes under 30 minutes. You get a temporary title, new plate and the state mails you the full title in a week or two.

Google "pa title notary near me"

Right on point with this one.  It is always best when buying a used bike to get one with a title, pretty much an iron clad guarantee its not stolen.  Many times the titles get "lost" over time.  The absence of a title can also be an indication the bike might be stolen, but that's not always the case, but it should raise a red flag.  It can be a pain to get a replacement for a lost title and PennDot's process is not easy.  If you have to buy one without a title, have a good friend who is a policeman run the VIN no to see if it was reported stolen before you buy it. Observe the seller carefully and ask questions to see if it looks like someone who's trying to pawn a stolen bike. If no title, always get a bill of sale and a copy of the seller's drivers license.  Pretty sure if you get caught with a stolen bike, you're going to lose it, along with your investment.