Sign in to follow this  

My 94 Chevy 2500 6.5L Diesel revived from the dead...

Hi,

about a month ago I got a 94 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 with the 6.5L Turbo Diesel in it. It was sitting behind a shop pretty much to die and rust away, so I thought it might be a good fix up project. First I had to replace that PMD (pump mounted driver) to get it going again and relocated it to the bumper on a heat sink.

Had to replace pretty much the whole brake lines in the back and put new wheel cylinders on. The tires where shot too, so I ordered some Good Year Wrangler Territory in 245/75/16 which I think are exclusively to Canadian Tire, got a good deal, too. Had them installed yesterday and they look awesome:banana:

Also it got a good cleaning, oil change and I waxed it, the things left on my list are a new front end and I'll sand down my rims and paint them black!

It's my first Diesel and I really love it, the fuel economy is really good for such a big engine, got 12 Liters for 100km on the highway (22 MPG)👍

so here are some pics...

before:

IMAGE_543.jpg

IMAGE_560.jpg

after:

IMAGE_736.jpg

IMAGE_745.jpg

IMAGE_741.jpg

IMAGE_751.jpg

Not bad looking I like those tires. Instead of painting the current wheels check out your local classifieds for someone selling some stock chrome or aluminum ones for cheap or even check some tire shops or dealerships for some take offs.

Steve

You could get some black bullethole rims made by Ion for 400 bucks, those wheels would look good on that truck.

that is an excellent truck. we have quite a few of the 6.5s at work. the pmd isolator is a must so its good you took care of that. most of ours have around 300,000 miles on them and still run great. plus even with that many miles they still pass the super strict emissions testing we have in CA.

one great thing about those trucks is even strait piped they are still pretty quiet, and that will improve the turbo lag quite a bit. watch the vacuum line that runs to the waste gate. we have had alot of those crack right where it goes into the actuator and it super hard to see, but it will cause you to have no boost until very high RPM. also keep your fuel filter changed. we have put quite a few injector pumps into these trucks and now that they change the fuel filter every oil change (5,000 miles) it has cut way back on the problems.

we have one 3500 4x4 dually that only has about 27,000 miles on it. i cant wait till that thing goes to auction, im gonna jump all over it.

I already got all the supplies I'll need to black out the rims, primer, paint and clear coat along with sand paper, don't really want to spent a lot.

There was a brand new fuel filter in the cab so I'll change that one too, just have to find where the old one is located lol.

no black paint:banana:, get the silver from CDNtire, some silverado caps and trim ring from the wreckers cheap .... much better, 👍 nice tires.

Hey can you let us know when you paint the rims and how you did it? Im thnking about painting my rims that are similar to yours.

THANKS

Sure, I will put some pics together! Today I'm planning on sanding them down and maybe even put the primer on. It rained earlier on, that set me back...still debating on what to do with the space in the middle and those ugly wheel nuts:thinking: I really like the Police car look with the black rims and chrome caps in the middle but don't know if I could get that for a steel rim and 8 lug!?

Any ideas???

...so I was able to finish 2 rims today, sanded them down, sprayed some primer on, then the black paint and finally finished them off with some clear coat!

pretty straight forward but the waiting sucks in between:smirk:

a little bit of overspray but that will come right off with some spirits...

IMAGE_772.jpg

IMAGE_777.jpg

IMAGE_779.jpg

going to finish the rest tomorrow and take some pics on the truck.

Sure, I will put some pics together! Today I'm planning on sanding them down and maybe even put the primer on. It rained earlier on, that set me back...still debating on what to do with the space in the middle and those ugly wheel nuts:thinking: I really like the Police car look with the black rims and chrome caps in the middle but don't know if I could get that for a steel rim and 8 lug!?

Any ideas???

These were the stock center caps for that era Chevy 3/4T with steel wheels http://www.hubcaps-wheelcovers.com/chevrolet_truck_van_center_caps.htm

Here is trim rings in just about any size you desire http://www.autoamenity.com/Center-Caps/Trim-Rings.htm

Here's what they looked like from the factory

04445363_001.jpg