Sign in to follow this  

Two questions please

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this forum; just joined. I recently bought an '07 DRZ 400 SM. I'll be 64 this month and still in very good shape. I used to ride a lot from age 16 to about 50, then sold my last ride, a BMW R100RS. Most of my riding has been on pavement. Now, being retired and a full time RVr, we spend Winters in AZ and so far, Summers in Wyoming. My wife is just starting to ride, Kawasaki Sherpa. We trailer both bikes behind our 5th. wheel home. While I'm a newbie at dirt (but learning fast) I still ride about 60-70% on pavement. The turn signals and tail light on my DRZ are very small and not as visible as I'd like them to be to other drivers. First question is can someone recommend some easily installed larger, more visible ones for a reasonable price? Second question has to do with trailering the bikes behind the fifth wheel. I have the trailer on order. It's specially made just for motorcycles; has wheel rails, tie down anchor points, 15 inch wheels, single axle, etc. Never having trailered motorcycles before, I'd appreciate any suggestions about the best way to "tie down" the bikes without damaging the suspension, etc. Thanks in advance for any help.

Not sure if there are bigger turn signals than the stock ones. Usually, riders seek a more compact signals out there for aesthetic reasons.

As for trailering bikes, I suggest investing in "fork support(s)." "Fork support" is a hard plastic that you lodge between the front tire & front fender. It prevents the fork front being compressed further, thus damaging fork seals. That's if you're fastening the bikes by placing the tie-downs on the handlebars, ofcourse.👍

cesaradams20.jpg

Not sure if there are bigger turn signals than the stock ones. Usually, riders seek a more compact signals out there for aesthetic reasons.

As for trailering bikes, I suggest investing in "fork support(s)." "Fork support" is a hard plastic that you lodge between the front tire & front fender. It prevents the fork front being compressed further, thus damaging fork seals. That's if you're fastening the bikes by placing the tie-downs on the handlebars, ofcourse.👍

Or you can just cut some lengths of PVC pipe, I used two inch, and place under the front fender and front tire.

Most people here don't see the need to support the suspension while trailering. I'm one of those. I tried a fork support once, fell out in a couple of miles. Anyway, to assure that the bike tie-downs stay put I use bungees between the hooks.

Most people here don't see the need to support the suspension while trailering. I'm one of those. I tried a fork support once, fell out in a couple of miles. Anyway, to assure that the bike tie-downs stay put I use bungees between the hooks.

I wouldn't leave the suspension compressed for any extended period of time. But, that's just me.👍

Did you buy the bike used? if you did just pop by a dealer and see if your bike still has stock turnsignals, im not sure you can get much bigger than those.

I wouldn't leave the suspension compressed for any extended period of time. But, that's just me.👍

My thoughts also. I've used some type of strut for years, with no problems. I also have seen my Dads' bike come un-hooked after hitting a bump and the front forks compressing, not once but twice. I know that if the straps were to pulled tighter it wouldn't have happened, but he didn't want to stress his seals/springs, go figure...

There's no stress on the seals. The only thing to consider would be the spring taking a set. But being tied up a day won't cause that on a quality spring.

If I didn't have a load of older good tie downs I would invest in the ProTaper tie downs with the carabiners on the ends not open hooks. http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=135&navTitle=Trailer+Accessories&webCatId=21&keyword=TIE+DOWNS&prodFamilyId=24481 They are a little more money but I don't think they will come loose. Some one makes them with carabiners on both end. I would also support the front forks with a brace so you don't sack out the springs. http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=110&navTitle=Trailer+Accessories&webCatId=21&keyword=FORK+SUPPORTS&prodFamilyId=11640 You just have to tie it down very tight or the support will pop out. I would also use the soft straps over the handle bars. http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=135&navTitle=Trailer+Accessories&webCatId=21&keyword=TIE+DOWNS&prodFamilyId=438