About to take a jump to the dark side, any suggestions?

Hi everybody, I have concluded that I am going to take the jump from a two stroke to an 05 crf 450r. Here is the only thing that perplexes me, I ride single track, and my yz works great with no overheating/etc.... From what I read, the crf will have a tendency to overheat in low speed, low rpm trails (mind you, this is all hearsay, hence the post....want to get some opinions from some of you who ride theirs in single track, and what you do.). The bike is SUPER CLEAN and was just rebuilt in the winter (with receipts to prove it). I was planning to get a big tank and mount my steering stabilizer up to it. One thing that peaked my interest is a high pressure radiator cap and filling with engine ice (anyone?). I would keep my two stroke, but I have been faithfully riding smokers for about 25 years, and I think it is time for a change (and the guy wants to trade straight up for my yz.........TONS of work done to it, so I would say that it is an even trade....). Thanks for all the responses and help guys! (and girls!)

Get some radiator guards for it. The stock radiators twist and bend pretty easy:foul:. If you have the cash you might investigate a Rekluse clutch setup:worthy:. If you don't have the cash, buy a hydraulic clutch for it. Theres a lot of clutch being used in tight single track, and the four fidies have a stronger than needed clutch pull. I have the Magura Hydraulic clutch and can't live without it(it self adjusts, so I never have to mess with it, and decreases the clutch pull by about half if not more)👍. Plus I can bring my stock clutch parts as a back up in my camel pack, just incase something goes wrong:bonk:. Other obvious stuff you all ready know : Skid plate, bark busters, better pegs, and maybee header guard. Plus the stuf you have listed.

About the overheating issue. I have never had my bike over heat once and I ride almost all single track. But I stop riding when it gets above 95-97 degrees. Its pretty humid in Oklahoma. When you add that to the heat it sucks.🤣

^^^+1 to all of the above...next mod for my bike is the Magura hydro clutch.

I primarily ride fast desert, single track and dunes on my 02'. It has spit a bit of fluid on hot days in very tight and slow sections for a prolonged period of time OR if I come to a stop waiting for riding partners but has never completely boiled over. With an aftermarket catch can (search turkey baster mod) and engine ice the problem is solved.

Hi everybody, I have concluded that I am going to take the jump from a two stroke to an 05 crf 450r. Here is the only thing that perplexes me, I ride single track, and my yz works great with no overheating/etc.... From what I read, the crf will have a tendency to overheat in low speed, low rpm trails (mind you, this is all hearsay, hence the post....want to get some opinions from some of you who ride theirs in single track, and what you do.). The bike is SUPER CLEAN and was just rebuilt in the winter (with receipts to prove it). I was planning to get a big tank and mount my steering stabilizer up to it. One thing that peaked my interest is a high pressure radiator cap and filling with engine ice (anyone?). I would keep my two stroke, but I have been faithfully riding smokers for about 25 years, and I think it is time for a change (and the guy wants to trade straight up for my yz.........TONS of work done to it, so I would say that it is an even trade....). Thanks for all the responses and help guys! (and girls!)

What does he want for his bike? I got buddy down in Redford, MI with a 07 450R with a set of white plastics and a paddle for $3700. It's literally been ridden three times (Silver Lake? where ever the dunes are here). I was going to buy it, but I wanted to be able to DS or supermoto the bike. The guy is like my little brother--I lived with his family for a year.

I ride tight single track in B.C, mostly 1st 2ond gear stuff! I dont have problems with overheating. Turn it off when you are not moving or sitting idle and you shouldnt have any problems. My mods- Flywheel weight is the best mod that ive done! Correct jetting/bark busters/skid plate/ Rad gaurds/ and correct gearing for your area. WE use 13/53 alot in B.C. Great bike for every situation though! Just my 2c's

Here is some single track stuff that we ride regularly-

I've got an '02 and never have overheating issues. My son's '05 had severe overheating problems when he got it. We solved it by replacing the high compression piston with OEM (stock compression) piston. No more overheating on that bike now, even on slow trails.

Sounds good, the guy stated that everything in the engine is oem honda, so with a bit of tweaking, it hopefully will suit my needs to a "T"! Does anybody have any experiences with the boyesen supercooler/waterpump assembly? I also am planning to pick up a jd jet kit (had so much good luck with my two stroke that I might try to see if it works as well on the 450). I will check out the turkey baster mod also. Thanks again!

The turkey baster idea is a neat idea and looks cool, but is not needed at all. When the radiator is full and the bike heats up and the coolant expands it will spit coolant out and is caught in the turkey baster. Then when the bike is off and the coolant cools down, the negative pressure built in the radiator as the coolant cools down, causes it to suck up the coolant that is in the turkey baster. So the coolant that is pushed out of the radiator is not being used to cool the bike down what so ever. Just fill the bike up with coolant, ride it for a while and it will spit out just a little bit of coolant. Then you are done. After my radiator spits out coolant the first time its done. If I pull the radiator cap off and look at the coolant level after it has done this, its about 3/4-1" from the top. Never had to fill it up ever after that. 👍

First you need to ask yourself why this guys wants to trade his 2005 bike for a 2000. I ask this because he could probably get a newer 2-stroke if he wanted. What does he have done to the CRF? FWIW both my CRF's (05 and 06) overheated, a lot. Both were stock.

But with that said... DO IT!!! The guy must be stupid or is hiding something. Even if you didn't like the CRF you could sell it for probably a grand more than your YZ and trade for an even nicer 2-stroke. I traded my 05 CRF450 for an 04 CR250 and even got 900 cash out of it!

CAll him up and do it as fast as you can

Well, after inspecting the bike out....... IT IS CLEAN! The guy ended up trading me my yz for his crf (his problem was that the bike was too much for riding around with his six year old.......and he was thinking that my yz was docile....hahaha!). He ended up taking a bunch of parts (about six to eight boxes worth, so he got a deal, I think?). The bike starts up in one kick cold, I always heard that they were bears to start, oh well...... I got a couple of oil filters, oil (rotella, any good?.....oil war commence!), three BRAND NEW twin air filters, three spark plugs and a couple of misc. gaskets and seals. He showed proof that the top end was replaced, new chain and sprockets, rear tire, pro moto billet spark arrestor and a bunch of other stuff. I thought my yz was fast, but this thing just stomps the hell out of it! I think that I am here in the non pre-mixing world for a while! Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

Well, after inspecting the bike out....... IT IS CLEAN! The guy ended up trading me my yz for his crf (his problem was that the bike was too much for riding around with his six year old.......and he was thinking that my yz was docile....hahaha!). He ended up taking a bunch of parts (about six to eight boxes worth, so he got a deal, I think?). The bike starts up in one kick cold, I always heard that they were bears to start, oh well...... I got a couple of oil filters, oil (rotella, any good?.....oil war commence!), three BRAND NEW twin air filters, three spark plugs and a couple of misc. gaskets and seals. He showed proof that the top end was replaced, new chain and sprockets, rear tire, pro moto billet spark arrestor and a bunch of other stuff. I thought my yz was fast, but this thing just stomps the hell out of it! I think that I am here in the non pre-mixing world for a while! Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

What a steal man! All I would suggest is check the valves and see if there in spec. Just keep an eye on that and have fun!

I ran plain ol Wally world oil in mine and PLENTY here do the same. Just change it as often as possible. Don't spend your money on expensive oil just get the cheapest you can find and change it OFTEN!

Have fun!!!👍

Thanks! I have to say, I sure am pleased with the bike! I ended up talking to the guy earlier tonight and he was saying how impressed he was with my old yz (saying that his friend's 05 yz 250 couldn't keep up...... what can I say, I build to perfection!). He gave me a gallon of rotella and I will just use that since it is only like 11.00 a gallon (sure beats my 8.00 a pint two stroke oil!). The next purchase is an oversized tank! Are the accelerator pump covers worth the money, or should I just put that towards gas?

Thanks! I have to say, I sure am pleased with the bike! I ended up talking to the guy earlier tonight and he was saying how impressed he was with my old yz (saying that his friend's 05 yz 250 couldn't keep up...... what can I say, I build to perfection!). He gave me a gallon of rotella and I will just use that since it is only like 11.00 a gallon (sure beats my 8.00 a pint two stroke oil!). The next purchase is an oversized tank! Are the accelerator pump covers worth the money, or should I just put that towards gas?

I think a 5 liter tub of supertech is about 11 bucks, a little bit cheaper than rotella but both are good.

I don't know much about the accelerator pump cover but I know that some mess with the AP because of carb issues, like stalling, flame outs etc. I stalled mine a lot on trails but didn't notice it on the track. Ride it a few times, find out what you don't like or bothers you and then come back and we can point you in the right direction:thumbsup:

I had an 05 CRF450R for a couple of years (bought new). I sold it and then bought an 03 YZ250 2T. Now on an 07 YZ450F which I really like.

The CRF can overheat in the slow stuff but I never had that happen. I did install the turkey baster overflow tank. Never even had to add coolant to it. Do not let the CRF idle for more than few seconds. More than that shut it down.

I ran a 756 on the front, it helped but the I still had issues with the front end not sticking. Stock chain is junk. I put a PMB SA and kickstand on the bike. Duvol skidplate too. Stock suspension is very good.

No issues with valves, they never even moved in the 80 plus hours I put on the bike. Oil changes are more work than a 2T, be very careful to not strip the crankcase drain bolt (behind countershaft sprocket). Air filter is a pain to install.

As you said, the CRF has way more power than the YZ. In fact it has more power than my YZ 450F does, even with a DMC pipe/silencer.

I found the CRF to be very stall prone, a flywheel weight would have been a nice mod I never made. You have probably already noticed the CRF really wants to stand up in turns compared to the YZ.

The CRF engine has little vibration, another nice change compared to the YZ 2T.

A good bike overall, have fun with it.

have an '04. Radiator fluid about a inch down as stated. As soon as I stop I shut it off. Starts in one kick so no big deal. Did the rekluse and love it. did a 13oz. as well to smooth it out, 50T to slow it down. Clutch is butter but my finger was swollen from clutching all day long. Used to have to ride in first clutching every turn, now I can do 2nd with the Rekluse and its more enjoyable. Tight trails. too much bike but I love the low end (155lb). Ap mod fixed all bog and cost 10 cents. Your riding buddies will breath better now when following..........👍