Break in help,its smoking alot.ASAP

I got a 98 klx300 with the 331 stroker kit and its got about 40-50mins. of run time on new rings,new wrist pin,new top end head gaskets,new spark plug,and the valves profesionally checked but all were good.Its got GREAT power and pulls just as hrd if not harder than before the headgasket blew but it smokes quite abit,blueish with maybe bit black mixed in there.When i gun it it puffs out pretty good but when you keep accelerating about as much as it can it clears up more until you let off the throttle again,has it just not seated the rings yet or what,like i said its got great power and runs/idles good.

Also the first 10-20mins of riding i had the coolant hoses to the radiator hooked up wrong so i didnt get to ride it long cause itd come out the overflow n i shut it off and finally looked at a klx pics and saw my problem,it never like overheated though cause i didnt drive it long enough for it to.I put em on correctly and tht fixed that problem and then i also tightened the head bolts more cause it was leakn tiny bit by the cylinder gasket and that also fixed that problem.

Soooo after all that its got about 2 20min rides on it and the smoking has gotten alittle bit less but not a whole bunch.So it just needs a couple nice long rides and should be fine or what?

Thanks,God Bless

Try to take a look at the piston and rings if they're set alright. See whether they move a bit left and right when you pushed them sideways. If not then you home free. Then just double check the carb settings. If all is ok, god and light power pull, I guess the smoke might decrease in time.

If not, get some proffessional to take a look quickly.

I just got back from driving it again for about 15-20mins and it smokes like CRAZY and its kinda more bluish whiteish...I dont like it one bit but as usual the power is all there and everything else seems completely fine....I think its burning some oil though because its got maybe 1/2litre less than it did 1hour ago of runtime,is that normal or is it proof that the rings aint seated yet?

SAJ, you've got a couple of things that don't bode well. If coolant came out of the overflow, that's pretty much an overheating symptom. The immediate need to tighten the head/cylinder bolts doesn't sound good either. Overheating on the first start-up is bad mojo for the ring seating process.

Who did the work? You used the term "professional" on the valves being checked...was it the same person who put the engine together or during another part of the process? Did you do any headwork during this process...valve seals, etc. Do know for sure the piston rings were properly aligned according the OEM manual or the directions from the piston/ring supplier?

No it was a pro in town that did the valves.Me and a mechanic friend of mine put it together,i dont think we tightened the head bolts enough to begin with...No head work was done.So now that everything is as it should be do i just wait it out till it seats or does it need new rings and another hone or somthing?Also the rings were installed corectly

I would not be starting the motor! When you did the new rings, did you be sure to put them in the correct way? Usually there is an up and a down on each ring.. They gotta be facing the correct way. IIRC whatever side writing is on will be facing up. EDIT - I see you just posted above that they're correct... I dunno.. I'm pretty sure rings seat pretty quickly. I know when I did my 351 kit I got zero smoke. Something is wrong.

Could be valve seals leaking oil into the cylinder..

All this stuff you're saying about screwing up coolant hoses, and re-tightening the head because the base gasket was leaking, etc.. Doesn't sound good!!! Next time take your time and don't start it up till you're 100% sure everything is good.

Good luck.

I was gona go 2hours away saturday to meet a guy that wants to trade his built 351w for my bike...I'll have to tell him somthng is jacked though...How much you think it would be to fix valve seals?If you were the one that wanted the bike and i told you id give you an extra $200-$250 on top to fix it since it had that prob. would you do it?

Bring it back to the pro in town, have him look over the bike, and get him to check the head, block, valve, pistons and also the radiator lines routing.

If he is the pro as you mention and the pro he is, he shud be able to figure out the moment he sees the smoke and smell the fumes and also by lookibng at the carbon.

I would say the rings are not sealing, either because of an overheat condition or improper installation. I would figure on removing the head, and cylinder for inspection. If the piston still looks good, put a new set of rings on the piston. Check the manual for proper installation of the rings...I stagger the gaps around the piston so they don't line up with each other. Make sure you put the rings correct side up. I know a lot of people recommend a dry installation for quicker break in. Personally as a professional auto mechanic I have trouble doing that. I put some oil on the wrist pin and a little on the piston skirt then install. I assume you honed the cylinder on the original install...Make sure you can see the cross hatch on the cylinder wall. I use a bead hone to break the glaze on the cylinder. I have trouble believing that valve guides would cause that much smoke. Most likely you will just be out your time and money for gaskets and rings. Good luck.

Yah - what he said ^^

I also think that with as much smoke as you're mentioning it's probably the rings..

And your previous question - if it were me I would not buy a bike that was smoking that bad unless it was a REALLLLY good deal.

Good luck

Well would approx $1250 for my bike be a bad deal since its got around $3k in just mods?Its one of Larry Rossellers engines/bike that he put together im told.

Im in dallas now and i talked to him and he just wants my 302 holley carb,motorsport cam,and maybe the e7 heads on top of the block,and intake i was gona give him anyway and thats fine by me cause i dont need that stuff if i get a 400hp windsor ==)