Sign in to follow this  

1984 xl200 exhaust

I am uncorking a vintage 1984 Honda XL200R. I have addessed the airbox, jetting and header pipe. I only have to remove the exhaust baffle to complete the project. However, it appears that the exhaust end cap is not held in by bolts/screws but is actually WELDED. Am I out of luck or do I need to cut the pipe to get at the baffle and then install an aftermarket exhaust tip. Any thoughts?? Thanks for looking, Scott

The whole end of my exhaust ('82) fell out so I welded it back in. Maybe that's what happened to yours.

- Brad

Thanks for the quick response. The end cap is certainly welded and I am the third owner...I MAY have have to cut the end off, remove the baffle, and then simply weld/braze the cap back on. Scott

I don't believe the stock muffler can be disassembled without cutting. I upgraded to a Cobra slip on, they come up on ebay occasionally, I also have a supertrapp from an early xr200r that fits 83-84 XL's without too much hassle.

May I ask what you did to address the header pipe? in my opinion the XL is the best flowing (largest diameter anyway) stock headpipe I have seen on any 2 valve 200. I have done a lot to my 83 to make it faster and keep it reliable, I think higher compression, a bit better cam and then an XR carb in that order would be the best recipe if I were to do it all over again, the exhaust gave the smallest noticeable increase in performance, after everything else was done.

I found the stock header to be relatively clear and free of the any welding slop. The bike really responded well to upping the Main jet to a 115 and the installation of an UNI filter. However, I may have to start checking eBAY for an exhaust system...Thanks for the insight on value of a higher comp piston kit..maybe a call to Powroll in the future? Thanks for looking, Scott