Sign in to follow this  

Klotz in 525 EXC ??

So I'm running a ktm 525 exc with supermoto setup, but I switch to dirt quite a bit. It normally runs a little hot. I got some free klotz nitro from a friend who runs it in his street bike. I'm a little hesitant cause I'm afraid of possibly burning my top end up. I've just ran pump 93 in it so far but I do love that race gas smell! I have a HMF full exhaust and dont remember what jetting, but it's not stock.

Maybe someone can fill me in before I destroy my bike. Has anyone ran klotz or other additives? How was performance?? any recomedations would be good!

there is a real trick when it comes to pushing up your octane, it does not always increase your power, this is a common thing in the sport bike world, people running vp u4 thinking they are making crazy horsepower when they aren't. I took second place in the california heavy weight twins class on my rc51 running pump gas with a pc111, so it is not always a "boost" I personally wont run it in my 525 especially in the dirt, I can see testing it in super moto, maybe a real dirt racer can tell us if they use it in there bikes

Yeah I think you are right jim. I gave it a try with my supermoto setup today and couldn't really tell a difference. It says 4oz per gallon. I'll just put in 1oz just to get that badass race gas smell. That should only raise the octane a number or 2 and not turn my piston into a meteorite unless someone else can tell me any different. Thanks for the help.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/octane.htm

here is a link explaining octane...higher octane does not equate to more performance it merely lessens detonation or ping.

when we race at high altitudes like mammoth moutain a bike runs better on low octane because of the lighter air.

lower more dense air likes higher octane but it is primarily about you compression ratio.

most ktms run about 11:1 so 91-93 octane is fine.

higher octane fuels run at a more consistant burn and expansion rate which is why they ping less, lower octane actually is a hotter burn hence the pinging or PRE detonation.

hope this helps