Sign in to follow this  

The upper chain roller went AWOL

I told my friend he needed to remove his upper chain roller. When I went to show him where it was, it was gone. In its place was a hole the size of a nickel. What would be the best way to patch the hole. Have it welded, patch it with something? Has anyone else had this problem, what did you do? Thanks in advance.

Its certainly gonna need welded. If you or your buddy arent a competent welder, strip it down and take it somewhere. The frames just steel right? Shouldnt be too much trouble.

I told my friend he needed to remove his upper chain roller. When I went to show him where it was, it was gone. In its place was a hole the size of a nickel. What would be the best way to patch the hole. Have it welded, patch it with something? Has anyone else had this problem, what did you do? Thanks in advance.

Another one bites the dust! This story is like a residual haunting... it just plays over and over again.🤣 It would be best to weld a patch over the frame especially if your buddy is prone to taking the bike in the rough very much. The problem with jagged holes is they can lead to cracks quite quickly......

For you DR650 newbies with stars in your eyes about Suzuki's upper chain roller placement design. Heed the hint. R&F the roller (remove and fling) 👍

btw, if you guys are gonna tackle it yourself, drill the ends of the crack into the good metal some. Thatll keep it from cracking more. Even after welding

When that happened on my first DR650 a long time ago, I cleaned up the area and squirted in some of that expanding insulation foam into the hole. After it dried and I trimmed it flat and covered it with some silicone sealer. That fix has lasted about 7 years so far. If the hole isn't any worse than the ones I've seen, I don't think welding is necessary. If you decide to do so, take it to a pro. The frame metal there is much thinner than you might imagine.

There are two kinds of upper chain rollers, those that have broken off and those that haven't broken off yet...

You forgot the ones that have been removed by studious owners.

Is this only an issue on '96 and newer DR's?

Just bought a '91, lower chain roller was very worn so I replaced it with an All Balls. Upper roller had minimal wear so I regreased and left it. My wear pattern is opposite what I've read about newer DR's (upper worn, lower good) so I'm assuming the older frame/suspension design with larger diameter upper roller is different and roller is doing its job correctly.

Anybody had issues with their upper chain roller on '95 and older bikes?

Does everybody still have their upper roller on?

_