Sign in to follow this  

250F or 450F for 6'4'' 205lbs ??

I havent raced or ridden in about 8 years. I used to race intermediate 125 and 250. Wanting a new bike and cant decide if I want a 250F or 450F. Im 6'4'' and 205lbs. Mostly will be riding motocross tracks but would like to do some woods racing as well. Im wondering if the 450 will be too heavy and fatiguing in the woods? Any thoughts? Also what about maintinace between the two?

I would go ahead and get the 450. I'm 6'4 196 and just went from a 250f to a 450 and wondered why I didnt do it along time ago. The suspension is alot better for my weight and the power difference is crazy. It should be fine in the woods. I dont notice much difference in the maintenace, change your oil, keep valves in check, clean air filter, ect..and you shouldnt have any problems.

i would say for mostly motox the 250. i have a wr450 yami and i find it kinda tiring to ride for long periods in the woods due to the heavy feel. however i do love the power of the 450. maintenance i think is pretty much the same on both bikes. valves,filters,oil change the usual stuff

If you had not been off a bike for so long then I would have suggested the 450. The extra power is very nice but you are right about the weight of a 450, it's going to work against you until you get back to where and how you use to ride. In the woods you will pay a price.

So between these two I would definitely go with the 250f (make mine yellow please ~ a 2010 with EFI). But honestly, if maintenance is an issue and you are more interested in fun than in throphys then get a 250 two stroke. The newer 250's really do have good low end for the trails and the lower overall weight (and lower CG) makes them a treat in the tight woods. And the maintenance of a two stroke is way cheaper and easier than any four stroke.

I have both bikes the 250F and the 450F. The 450 for open trail riding the 250 for the tight technical stuff.

Their weight is essentially the same. It is the gyro effect of the larger piston that makes it seam heavier. But what you really feel is the resistance to turn because the gyro is so stable.

You can make the 450 feel lighter when riding in the woods by up shifting, There is plenty of low end torque. When the motor is running at lower rpm the gyro effect is not as noticable. Making it easier to turn.

And Dude you are a big guy. and have raced. You will not be happy with a 250.

Go for the 450

A 250F is all anyone needs to ride tight trail. But the 450 is your MX bike for sure.

Get the 450 250Lb. Not bad I have 250 I weight is 200lb after a few months you will wish you had the 450. I am going to by one now.

I'm the same weight I promise you after about a month you will regret getting the 250.

I'm the same weight I promise you after about a month you will regret getting the 250.

Maybe if he's a track guy only but in the woods the 250F is very adequate.

Maybe if he's a track guy only but in the woods the 250F is very adequate.

The 250 is not as weak of a bike as most make it out to be....I will never own one though....

But really, one hauls Shurb around in the woods without a problem, and he is not a small guy....