Sign in to follow this  

New 09 owner need help

Hi guys just bought a new 09 two weeks ago. Im coming off a crf250 and need some help. For the past 10 years I have been reving my bikes to the moon and now I have an extremely hard time with this bike because it seems to love to be short shifted. I know im never going to be able to ride it like a 250 but I feel like I have to shift this thing an awful lot for a 450. I want more top end!!

My 250 had a vortex ignition so it reved to the moon and switching to this the thing just dies in the top.

I don't need anymore bottom at all id like to keep about the same bottom and mid range maybe a little less touch on the bottom and a bunch more top. I should prolly just learn to ride a 450 the right way but shifting so soon is killing me.

First thing I have to do is send the suspension to FC but I think I need to change the gearing/exhuast/ECM

What should I do to make this thing more rideable?? I like the yosh exhuasts price and I like it cosmeticly.

Thanks in Advance

Ryan

Dang, I had an 07 CRF250F and THAT needed to be shifted. The 450 does not, it just feels like it because you are riding by sound. You shift to get to the power. The power is there, it is everywhere, drop too low and stab the clutch and hang on, ride it a gear higher and hold it open and the the torque work for you.

For sure the stock can falls off fast. PC WILL give you the most top end, no question.

OTD CycleSports Denver/Sisneros Speed Works reprogramming the ECM is a good way to gain top end.

^^^^^MXA can't even get the stock spring rate right.

Remap the bike, the stock mapping shuts it down at 8k.

Finally had my springs tested today. My personal front fork springs are 4.6nm or .47kg/mm. I had them checked after a comment from MX tech. I'm interested as to what your stock springs came out to captain? After reading a few threads on here, I almost thought Factory Connection, when they sold me .48kg/mm springs that I might have just bought springs that were the same rate as the stockers and that both Honda and Factory Connection were wrong. But lucky for me they were right, at least on my bike....I mean they could have been measured/tested wrong. I wasn't there. Not that it would have mattered, I've nevered tested spring rates before. I dropped them off at my local community College auto/motorcycle shop. I wasn't there for the test, but I didn't tell them the specs either. Also I don't beleive everything I read in the magazines but I don't shut them down if I can't personaly prove them wrong. He asked for help, I didn't have any personal experiences to forward him so I looked up a few articles. I'm sure they performed the tests. Whether or not the results are exact or vary, I can't comment on.. Good luck.

I just reread their article, you're right. They listed the front springs as .46 and that is wrong.. They should be 4.6. lol

Dang, I had an 07 CRF250F and THAT needed to be shifted. The 450 does not, it just feels like it because you are riding by sound. You shift to get to the power. The power is there, it is everywhere, drop too low and stab the clutch and hang on, ride it a gear higher and hold it open and the the torque work for you.

For sure the stock can falls off fast. PC WILL give you the most top end, no question.

I think you bring up a very good point, I didnt even think about it, but on my 250f I was shifting more by sound and this bike sounds so much different, that might be part of it. My 250 had a whitebrothers exhuast that was typically the loudest bike on the track. This bike isnt as loud and when I get to the rev limiter it doesnt make that typical 250 rev limter sound.

If Im not looking to get more horsepower would a ecm retune and yosh slip be a good start? It seems like some find the yosh full system a little less rideable?

I have an MRD with Eddie's tune and it has WAY more top end than stock. The bottom has a smoother transition into the mid then it really takes off from there. Not sure if anyone has tested them back to back put I'm betting it has a powerband very similiar to the pro circuit pipe. For not much more than yosh slip on you can get an MRD system, IMO it was worth every penny.

I have an MRD with Eddie's tune and it has WAY more top end than stock. The bottom has a smoother transition into the mid then it really takes off from there. Not sure if anyone has tested them back to back put I'm betting it has a powerband very similiar to the pro circuit pipe. For not much more than yosh slip on you can get an MRD system, IMO it was worth every penny.

I would really like to see a picture of the MRD system installed. I know they are high quality. I have searched and have not been able to find a picture of one installed. Not to say there isnt a picture on here somewhere but I have looked several times and not been able to find one.

I had a MRD on my YZ450 it was built great and cheap.. Only problem i had was no matter what i did it was to loud.. even with the taper core and better packing .. again its a real nice pipe and MRD is great to deal with just to loud for me..

Yes, the Yosi slip on is a great start and hey it looks the best too. it will also allow you to rev quite a bit farther but I still think your issue is one of style not one of mechanical limitation. The 450F can lug around the track in fourth gear 1/2 throttle faster than the 250F did screaming WOT in 5th gear and it will do it with less work for example.

One of the reasons vets like the 450 is because you do not have to work as hard. Younger guys feel that if that are not "feeling" fast and furious they are not going fast. I suspect if you ran a stop watch on your lap times you are faster on the 450 with doing less work while feeling slower. It is the same thing as going from 2 stroke to 4 stroke. You feel slower because you are even less "fast and furious". Going 250F to 450F is the same thing. "feeling" fast is not necessarily fast. it can be sure but I mean for us average Joes. I feel like Bubba on my 125 for sure but I would slaughter myself if I could race myself on on bit the 125 and 450 but the 125 ALWAYS feels like i am going faster.

It is the nature of a metric ass load of torque.

It does sound like you need a slip on though. I think most people benefit from it. Do that then ride it for a while and try and get used to one gear higher and make use of the torque. It feels weird I know but it is effective.

All of what I said above applies unless you are just killin the 450 and looking for more power where the bike is preventing you from going faster because it simply is tapped out. what I said above is for normal people who are no where near using a 450's power to the max. if your one of those fast intermediates killin the bike then this does not apply to you, please do not bother posting saying I am full of crap. You fast guys are the exception NOT the norm. 👍

Good luck!

Yes, the Yosi slip on is a great start and hey it looks the best too. it will also allow you to rev quite a bit farther but I still think your issue is one of style not one of mechanical limitation. The 450F can lug around the track in fourth gear 1/2 throttle faster than the 250F did screaming WOT in 5th gear and it will do it with less work for example.

One of the reasons vets like the 450 is because you do not have to work as hard. Younger guys feel that if that are not "feeling" fast and furious they are not going fast. I suspect if you ran a stop watch on your lap times you are faster on the 450 with doing less work while feeling slower. It is the same thing as going from 2 stroke to 4 stroke. You feel slower because you are even less "fast and furious". Going 250F to 450F is the same thing. "feeling" fast is not necessarily fast. it can be sure but I mean for us average Joes. I feel like Bubba on my 125 for sure but I would slaughter myself if I could race myself on on bit the 125 and 450 but the 125 ALWAYS feels like i am going faster.

It is the nature of a metric ass load of torque.

It does sound like you need a slip on though. I think most people benefit from it. Do that then ride it for a while and try and get used to one gear higher and make use of the torque. It feels weird I know but it is effective.

All of what I said above applies unless you are just killin the 450 and looking for more power where the bike is preventing you from going faster because it simply is tapped out. what I said above is for normal people who are no where near using a 450's power to the max. if your one of those fast intermediates killin the bike then this does not apply to you, please do not bother posting saying I am full of crap. You fast guys are the exception NOT the norm. 👍

Good luck!

Yea you are prolly right about everything you just said. As far as the way I feel you hit it nail on the head I feel like.. OK im going alright but i dont feel like I am trying. I am like an average B rider in speed if I decided I wanted to go faster and took it seriously Im sure I could go faster but I just love riding my dirtbike and I want to keep it fun and not take it too serious. When I rode it last week I was like ok I have done about 10 laps and I am I still don't have to pull off this is crazy. On my 250f I would have so much arm pump and I would have to pull off the 450 I can keep riding which is cool. If I try and ride it like a 250f I cant ride it as long but im also all over the place. Like I said I am not looking for more HP numbers just more top end so the thing doesnt cut out so fast. I see a bunch of people that say they up the rear to a 49 but I think that would make it worse for me Id be fine with less bottom but more top.

Thanks

I would really like to see a picture of the MRD system installed. I know they are high quality. I have searched and have not been able to find a picture of one installed. Not to say there isnt a picture on here somewhere but I have looked several times and not been able to find one.

Here is the MRD pipe on my '09 450

I had a MRD on my YZ450 it was built great and cheap.. Only problem i had was no matter what i did it was to loud.. even with the taper core and better packing .. again its a real nice pipe and MRD is great to deal with just to loud for me..

sorry it was too loud for your liking , I looked in your garage and noticed it is one of the older style mufflers , they have a bigger dia. muffler now that holds more packing volume

Here is the MRD pipe on my '09 450

Picture didn't work... This pipe must be shy any time I think I will get to see a picture it doesnt work...