Where are the best trails for new young rider?

I want to take my 8 year old out for his first trail ride tomorrow. How are the trails at CAW for a new rider? Is the Youth Trail at Brushy doable for a new rider? He is getting around pretty well on a TTR 90.

Any other or better recommendations? Thanks,

I want to take my 8 year old out for his first trail ride tomorrow. How are the trails at CAW for a new rider? Is the Youth Trail at Brushy doable for a new rider? He is getting around pretty well on a TTR 90.

Any other or better recommendations? Thanks,

I had my 9 year old down at CAW a couple of months ago (CRF70F). Trail 5 would be a good option. Both of my boys (now 9 and 11) started riding at Brushy Mountain a couple of years ago. They did fine on the youth trails. I will say however that before we started to do trails like Brushy, they spent a fair amount of time buzzing around on easy pee wee/youth "mx" tracks.

Also, when riding with them, I have tended to stay away from the busier places on the weekends.

Sammy - I don't think the big G would enjoy the youth trail at Brushy. It's a lot of fun but it's still got some roots and rocks, ups and downs.

No matter what trail we daddies choose, our kids see things a lot differently than we do. I tried taking Thomas down what I considered to be a super-easy section where we all rode the other day and he couldn't wait to get out of the woods. He hated it. This made me realize a couple of things: 1) I was taking Thomas down the trail because *I* wanted to ride trail and 2) that just the act of riding the motorcycle - no matter where - is exciting when it's your first year doing it and you're 7 years old.

Dunno if it's open but I think you and Grayson should go to Enoree. There's a 1/2 mile and 3 1/2 mile loop right off the parking lot. The trails are super groomed and he'll handle them just fine. Thomas did! He rode 2 laps. Afterward, you would have thought he had just finished the ISDE!🤣

Whatever trail you end up riding, take a bucket-load of patience and have fun! 👍

Sammy - I don't think the big G would enjoy the youth trail at Brushy. It's a lot of fun but it's still got some roots and rocks, ups and downs.

No matter what trail we daddies choose, our kids see things a lot differently than we do. I tried taking Thomas down what I considered to be a super-easy section where we all rode the other day and he couldn't wait to get out of the woods. He hated it. This made me realize a couple of things: 1) I was taking Thomas down the trail because *I* wanted to ride trail and 2) that just the act of riding the motorcycle - no matter where - is exciting when it's your first year doing it and you're 7 years old.

Dunno if it's open but I think you and Grayson should go to Enoree. There's a 1/2 mile and 3 1/2 mile loop right off the parking lot. The trails are super groomed and he'll handle them just fine. Thomas did! He rode 2 laps. Afterward, you would have thought he had just finished the ISDE! 🙂

Whatever trail you end up riding, take a bucket-load of patience and have fun! 👍

Yep. Completely agree. We are heading south, either TNT or CAW where I know there will be something for him to enjoy. Looks like I can work out a day pass for me tomorrow. Brown is calling. 🤣

Enoree is perfect for kids starting out, adn that is where I always take mine for their first trail ride or 2. Then head to Wayehutta to teach them to trail ride for real. Very mellow for mountain trails, but a wonderufl experience for them, and trails a 50 can do. A few roots, quite a few rocks, but great trails with not too much traffic.

I took the little guy to TNT and he loved it. He spent a lot of time on the kids track and we both rode the intermediate track a good bit. While he took breaks I could hit the big track for a few laps. Ended up buying memberships as an incentive to go back.

I don't think trail 5 at CAW is a good option for a little guy/girl. the service roads all around there would be better but I'd stick close to them. There is a peewee track that is good and if you camp, they can circle the campground all day.

8 or 9, I guess it's possible though. My boy is 5 so that's my perspective.

I don't think trail 5 at CAW is a good option for a little guy/girl. the service roads all around there would be better but I'd stick close to them. There is a peewee track that is good and if you camp, they can circle the campground all day.

8 or 9, I guess it's possible though. My boy is 5 so that's my perspective.

Good point. My advice was very subjective and based on my own personal experience. One thing to keep in mind...I try to stay away from riding in places with my boys where there is two way traffic. Pee wee and youth tracks are great places to start. After they did this for awhile we started riding trails together, but I have tried to go to places where they have one way trails. Safer IMO.