Sign in to follow this  

Ktm 200 clutch and lever

I did some searching. I notice my bike when i start it in gear in moves forward. Seems to be a sufficient amount. Is this do to the lever turned to much. Its a 06. oil color is fine and no metal shavings. Don't want the adjuster turned in to much and drag the clutch. You guys got any suggestions???👍

I'm talking about the clutch lever adjustment:worthy:

I realize you are looking for suggestions for lever adjustment but the first thing that comes to my mind is what kind of oil are you running in your tranny?

With motor oil my clutch will drag enough to need to hold the brake.

Using ATF in the tranny solved all drag issues.

I realize you are looking for suggestions for lever adjustment but the first thing that comes to my mind is what kind of oil are you running in your tranny?

With motor oil my clutch will drag enough to need to hold the brake.

Using ATF in the tranny solved all drag issues.

Belray gear saver..

The belray gear saver is a SAE 80w-90. could oil weight affect it that much??

different oils of the same weight can behave differently with your wet clutch. The lever adjustment adjusts lever position, not freeplay with the hydraulic clutch. Freeplay is adjusted with different gasket thicknesses under/behind the slave cylinder to case mount. You may need a slightly thinner one. I would try a different oil first. I use amsoil gearsaver. Probably similar to the belray. I don't like the way it works compared to regular motoroil, but the extra shear strength is worth it IMO.

The belray gear saver is a SAE 80w-90. could oil weight affect it that much??

75 to 90 wt gear oil is the same as 10w30 motor oil...weight wise

Although different lubricants of the same viscosity may have a different effect, viscosity affects it too. Gear oil and motor oil have viscosity rated on different scales. 80w gear oil is close to 30# motor oil in viscosity. ATF is a little thinner, closer to 20# motor oil, I think.

Lever adjustment: Free play is adjusted with gaskets as mentioned. However if you remove all the free play (gap) at the lever to the master cylinder you could have the clutch engaged all the time. All you need to avoid engaging the clutch with the lever all the way out is some free play (a gap) so the adjuster is not pushing on the master cylinder piston when all the way out. Other then that adjustment is mostly for lever positioning. I like my lever to be as far out as possible without engaging the piston (adjustment as far in as possible) with a minimum gap. This would also tend to disengage the clutch more (further) then with a very loose adjustment. You could try this. If you have the lever adjusted to engage too far in (a bunch of free play at the master cylinder) you may not be disengaging it far enough when pulled all the way in.

Does it do this all the time or just when it is cold and hasn't been ridden or when you first put it in gear? To jump forward a bit on the first time you put it in gear for the day is pretty normal.

Air in the system will also make the clutch move less and not disengage as far since it is compressible and when compressed you don't get as much piston movement.