Sign in to follow this  

Questions about XT225

I am helping a friend pick out a ds bike, she is just learning to ride and we found a low mile 94 xt225 for a decent price. Any comments or cautions?

They are a perfect learner's bike. Very simple and reliable. Easy to handle at reasonable off road speeds. The low seat height and relatively low weight makes them less intimidating. Weaknesses are rims, hubs and spokes. Keep the spokes tight.

Great first bike. Easy to ride and service.

Low flat seat and decent clearance for moderate trail use. They do take a beating and keep on trucking.

I had one a few years back 2001 model I believe.

Had a TW200 for awhile too, pretty much the same type of bike with fatter tires.

Both models are a little touchy about chain tension.

I had a tough time finding Neutral at stops if the chain was either too tight or too loose.

Rolling it was easy to find. Just need to be within factory spec and it's ok.

Other than that no issues, just gas,oil and the occasional filter.

<a  href=cimg1369sh.jpg' alt='cimg1369sh.jpg'>

Thanks for the info, I read about weak spokes elsewhere. I cant imagine that a light weight beginner will stress em much. Ill give em the once over and teach her how to check them.

Don't worry about the skinny spokes, as long as you maintain them. That bike needs a fuel screw adjustment to run properly. If it doesn't run cleanly off the bottom you can look up how to do it or have a mechanic do it. That bike takes a very long time to warm up and run cleanly anyway. It's best to ride it yourself and get it hot before giving it to a beginner. A low speed cough or stumble can result in a fall for a beginner.

The fuel screw adjustment is easy. Loosen the carb (with side panels removed) and rotate it so the float bowl is exposed on the right side of the bike. The fuel screw is covered with a little brass plug on the engine side of the carb bottom. Drill a small hole in the brass plug only deep enough to screw in a sheet metal screw. Pull on the screw to remove the plug. Turn the fuel screw clockwise gently till it bottoms. Then, turn it 3 full turns out. This eliminates the long warm up time and lurching.

We bought the xt last night. Compared to my DRZ that thing is smooth as glass. I will probably strip the blinkers and stuff off this week and save them till shes ready to get her mc licence. I really want to put knobbies on it but then I might have to change them back when it hits the road. I mean, I like this person and dont want to send a novice out on the street with knobbies. If it was me itd be a no brainer. I will reset the mixture screw if it seems to need it. Dont know yet. thanks.

The stock tires are pretty much useless in the dirt, yet dirt tires can still do fairly well on the pavement....so it is a pretty clear choice if it will be going off-road at all, you are going to need knobbies.

I put Pirelli MT-21's on ours, and they are great! Will wear out fairly fast on the pavement however, but performance on pavement is just fine.

Most DOT approved knobbies work well on or off road. Pirellis like Recon said, or Dunlop 606 or Kenda 760II Trackmasters. I have a Dunlop on the front and a Kenda on the back of my 225 and they work well. The problem with the stock tires is they plug up with mud very easily. If you stay out of mud and sand the stockers would be OK off road if you lower the air pressure a little.

ditto on the dot knobbies. best improvement i did to the 92 xt225 i had. little buggers go forever.

No doubt the stock tires suck, my friend crashed twice when the front washed out. Any suggestions on tail lights, the stocker is pretty big and out there.

Here's that idle jet screw mentioned earlier.

I just used a sheetrock screw to pull the cover off.

KLX250 carb but same basic idea. 3 full turns might be too much depending on your jetting and elevation. Count the number of clockwise turns it takes to seat it then add 1/2 turn extra at a time and try it out. It does help with starting and warm up.

Bumping the idle speed up a little is helpful for beginners as well.

<a  href=feb09070.jpg' alt='feb09070.jpg'>