Sign in to follow this  

Uni filter question

I've been lurking and learning from you guys for a couple months now, and finally bought an 08 L a couple weeks ago.

I just de-smogged it today after putting a few hundred miles on it and was quite surprised at the improved throttle response gained by it. I read so many threads stating no performance increase, just a clean up mod. Well for not expecting anything, I'm kinda shocked.

Next week I am re-jetting and installing a uni-filter. Oh yea, and de-snorkeling.

My question is, oiling the uni filter. I have a K&N filter kit with the spray on oil, and I'm assuming air filter oil is air filter oil. Am I wrong? Will it work just fine?

Looking forward to getting the bike off road, and tinkering with the mods I have learned about on this site.

Thanks for the help.

Tom

I've been lurking and learning from you guys for a couple months now, and finally bought an 08 L a couple weeks ago.

I just de-smogged it today after putting a few hundred miles on it and was quite surprised at the improved throttle response gained by it. I read so many threads stating no performance increase, just a clean up mod. Well for not expecting anything, I'm kinda shocked.

Next week I am re-jetting and installing a uni-filter. Oh yea, and de-snorkeling.

My question is, oiling the uni filter. I have a K&N filter kit with the spray on oil, and I'm assuming air filter oil is air filter oil. Am I wrong? Will it work just fine?

Looking forward to getting the bike off road, and tinkering with the mods I have learned about on this site.

Thanks for the help.

Tom

IMHO no...you have to use oil made for a foam filter,,someone i`m sure will come and say it`ll work fine..........but i won`t use anything but foam filter oil..actually i use either NO-TOIL or just go to the Honda dealer,,they have foam filter oil for like 4 bucks a bottle:thumbsup: foam filter oil is sticky as hell........all the K&N filters i cleaned on cars ,the oil wasn`t sticky if i remember correctly..

It`s up to you though:thumbsup:

B

uni sells a lil set with spray cleaner and oil too if you see it

I bought it just cause I figure they should know what their sponge likes n all

I read somewhere not to use K&N oil on a foam filter, the oil is much thinner because it's designed for the fabric filter material used in K&N's, The oil will get sucked into the motor and protection from dust will be less because the proper oil is thicker and stickier. I'd get the Uni oil it's relatively cheap and it's not worth taking a chance using anything else and wrecking your motor, just because you have some K&N oil lying around. I was in the same situation, I had a K&N kit in my garage, hence I researched your very question before buying my Uni and as a result bought the Uni oil and filter at the same time. I think the Uni oil was only $6.99.

I'm with you Tweiss, regarding the desmog effect. I did my 07 and it definitely runs different, I could hear it sounded different as soon as I started it up, less noise in the front of the exhaust idle. It also pulls 4th and 5th gears better (smoother) at lower speeds like 45 mph in 5th. I wouldn't say power is effected, but it certainly runs differently. I kind of did mine a bit backwards, because I rejetted, desnorkeled, added uni filter and did Dave's mods before removing the smog kit, firstly so as not to make too many changes at once so diagnosing any problem caused would be easier, but also because other than the popping in the exhaust I wasn't expecting any other benefit. I think a lot of people do a lot of mods at the same time so don't get to experience the subtle yet noticeable changes that just the desmog provides.

Edited by redhawk4

Spray on, no. Use foam filter oil.

It takes quite a bit and you have to work it in by hand. Very sticky stuff. The trick is to not use too much, just enough to get it through the foam if you squeeze it in your hand.

Then there's the cleaning...it's best to use something not too harsh like kerosene or mineral spirits. Saturate, squeese, repeat a few times. Then wash it with dish detergent - preferably not in the kitchen sink if you like staying married.

Don't use the K&N oil on a foam filter.

If you've never used No-Toil, you should try it. Filters as good as petroleum based oil but cleans up so dang easy with the No-Toil cleaner or Oxy-Clean. No gasoline, no solvent, no mess. Filters dry so much faster when you've just used water to clean.

Just like the rest of the folks here---use foam filter oil: Uni makes there own stuff,also no-toil!!!!!.

When I ordered my Unifilter Rocky Mountain MC ATV told me they had a notice on their system not to use No Toil oil on the Unifilter. That could just be Unifilter trying to make you buy their oil, I don't know I'm just reporting what I was told.

As long as it is designed for foam oil filters. I use PJ-1 spray on but it sets up tacky so dirt and particles will stick to it.

Don't use a uni or any high flow filter unless you plan on rebuilding your bike more often.

Don't use a uni or any high flow filter unless you plan on rebuilding your bike more often.

I think that's true of K&N type high flow filters as opposed to quality foam filters. One of the reasons, IMO, that a Unifilter flows better than the OEM filter is the available surface area for the air to pass through. It's probaly almost twice the area of the OEM. So it doesn't necessarily mean the filter material itself is freer flowing and more likely to allow dirt through.

I've heard of people having dirt pass with the K&N, but not the foam filters. It's pretty easy to see how well a filter works by how clean your intake is behind the filter after use. I'm sure others who've been using the Unifilter for some time will be able to confirm their experience.

Thanks for all your responses. Very helpful.

It would of been just my luck to go ahead and use the wrong stuff, just cause it's laying around in the garage.

I got the no-toil kit from a Honda shop yesterday complete with a filter rim lube?, so I'll get to dunkin the filter a the tub of oil soon so it's ready for install when I do the re-jet and Dave's carb mod.

I'm kinda waiting for better weather, so I can test it out soon as I'm done.

Now I need to decide on the next mod. Thinking about a CRF rear fender and new tail light "make over."

Tom