Sign in to follow this  

Need to know if I did timing right? Want better low/mid

So I got the required dial indicater, screwed it in tight, turned the flywheel till it reversed on the gauge, I set the zero on the gauge right at the point it reversed, I then turned the flywheel clockwise two lines off zero, and then loosend and turned the stator/timing till the timing marks lined up. I want 2 degrees retarded. Did I do this correctly??? I ride anywhere from sea level to 3000 feet, 175 Main, 45 pilot 1-1/2 out on the air screw and a JD red needle third clip down from top. I want to smooth out the power for trail ridding, I rode my buddys 02 that was bone stock and his bike pulled smooth all the way thru, It had great low end. My bike had a Boyesen Rad Valve, power wings front and rear and a FMF Gnarly, The low end was not there, but mid upper hit like a banshee! Not where I want my power, I want smooth low/mid. So I removed the Boyesen/power now and went back to stock.

Doesn't sound like you retarded enough. Keep in mind each one mark on the dial gauge does not represent one degree of retard. On my gauge it was 7 marks for 2 degrees. Use the timing thread. There is no one that can explain it any better than that post.

So I got the required dial indicater, screwed it in tight, turned the flywheel till it reversed on the gauge, I set the zero on the gauge right at the point it reversed, I then turned the flywheel clockwise two lines off zero, and then loosend and turned the stator/timing till the timing marks lined up. I want 2 degrees retarded. Did I do this correctly??? I ride anywhere from sea level to 3000 feet, 175 Main, 45 pilot 1-1/2 out on the air screw and a JD red needle third clip down from top. I want to smooth out the power for trail ridding, I rode my buddys 02 that was bone stock and his bike pulled smooth all the way thru, It had great low end. My bike had a Boyesen Rad Valve, power wings front and rear and a FMF Gnarly, The low end was not there, but mid upper hit like a banshee! Not where I want my power, I want smooth low/mid. So I removed the Boyesen/power now and went back to stock.

don,t retard your timing.set it to stock.this will give you more bottom end than retarded timing.

Doesn't sound like you retarded enough. Keep in mind each one mark on the dial gauge does not represent one degree of retard. On my gauge it was 7 marks for 2 degrees. Use the timing thread. There is no one that can explain it any better than that post.

Read that thing five times! From what I gathered it was rite? Thats why I am asking. If zero was Top dead then two lines on the JJ&A dial indicater should be 2 degrees retarded?

.022 4 degrees advanced

.018 3 degrees advanced

.014 2 degrees advanced

.010 1 degree advanced

.007 Stock Setting

.004 1 degree retarded

.002 2 degrees retarded

.001 3 degrees retarded

.000 5 degrees retarded (the limit of travel of my stator)

-.001 7 degrees retarded (the 3 to 5 and 5 to 7 jump are correct due to rod angle)

-.002 8 degrees retarded

Read that thing five times! From what I gathered it was rite? Thats why I am asking. If zero was Top dead then two lines on the JJ&A dial indicater should be 2 degrees retarded?

.022 4 degrees advanced

.018 3 degrees advanced

.014 2 degrees advanced

.010 1 degree advanced

.007 Stock Setting

.004 1 degree retarded

.002 2 degrees retarded

.001 3 degrees retarded

.000 5 degrees retarded (the limit of travel of my stator)

-.001 7 degrees retarded (the 3 to 5 and 5 to 7 jump are correct due to rod angle)

-.002 8 degrees retarded

OK yea I got mixed up I think. Sounds like you did it right. If you followed the thread then I would have faith that it is doen correctly.

OK yea I got mixed up I think. Sounds like you did it right. If you followed the thread then I would have faith that it is doen correctly.

I think I did it right? Seems to run good down the street, will take her out this weekend to check seat of the pants feel.