Sign in to follow this  

'95 250 rear brake caliper

The rear Caliper on my bike is loose, its been that way for awhile but I pulled it all apart because its ready for a set of pads. I was gonna order a set of the slide pins and the rubber boots they ride on but I looked them up here

http://www.partshark.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=26073&category=Motorcycles&make=YAMAHA&year=1995&fveh=666 And it shows the caliper and bracket is sold as an assemble and the parts I need aren't available by themselves. Seems strange, what are my option, anyone know of a place I can get what I need? maybe from the Nissin directly?

Yamaha only sells those parts as an assembly. Instead of being out 10.00 for parts, you are supposed to spend hundreds for the entire thing.

Honda sells the pieces and often they are better than the same piece Yamaha used. Honda's usually get the latest generation of brakes and have for many years. You usually end up finding a match on Honda that is a year or two older than what you have.

Check the 1993 cr 250. If that fails, I know the caliper (not hanger) is identical to a 1990 Suzuki DR 350. I think Suzuki sells parts as well.

Thanks for the info RC, Suzuki sells the parts separately. Looks like there about the same, your sure the Suzuki Parts are the same?

Why dose Yamaha do stuff like that? Stupid things like this is whats really gonna make me think twice about buying another Yamaha.

Thanks for the info RC, Suzuki sells the parts separately. Looks like there about the same, your sure the Suzuki Parts are the same?

Why dose Yamaha do stuff like that? Stupid things like this is whats really gonna make me think twice about buying another Yamaha.

Its been about five years since I bought my parts, but I do remember the 97 yz using the same parts as the 90 suzuki dr 350. I dont know if your 95 is different than the 97. If you had a 97 I could pretty much write a warranty for it. Total parts cost was only about 30 bucks for all the pins and covers. I remember because at first I bought a used one on ebay and it was worse than I already had.

Sometimes the caliper gets worn inside where it rides on the pins. Take it off the the bike,remove the rubber boots and inspect the pins, one of which threads into the hanger. Install the caliper on 1 pin at a time and wiggle it. The pins are hardened but the caliper is aluminum. My 94 wr250 has the same problem with the caliper being loose but it does not cause a problem yet. Just keep it greased and ride.