Sign in to follow this  

Dieing Bike

Hello Guys and Gals,

I recently bought a 98 XR400 dualsport and I truly love this thing but have a slight problem.

Everything works great, starts fine, idles, rides great. The only thing is when I turn the bike hard to the left(where the bars are close to maxing out) the bike dies. I am guessing this is electrical but pulled the seat off and couldn't see any wires being pulled or stressed when I turned it. The bike has a Baja street legal kit and a rewound coil. Any ideas would be great!

I also get a bit of speed wobble when hitting ~65-70. Any ideas on that either? Its got nobbies up front and back.

Thanks in advance for the help!

-Bowatti

Question: Does it rev up when you turn all the way to the right? If so try looking at the throttle cable. If not the cable then start looking for a worn wire grounding out on the frame, it may be really hard to find so go slow and check every wire. Your kill switch is the starting point since its on the bars???

I just installed and Mikuni carb (not the problem) with a Gunnar Gasser throttle and having that problem right now and have come to the conclusion that the cable is 2" to 3" inches too short. I have routed the cable every way possible and still get the same results with hard left shutting down and hard right revving really high. If anybody else is reading this and knows about cable length please chime in. What happens if the cable is longer than needed? I gotta have a custom cable made and don't want to be too long or just not enough. Not meaning to highjack the thread just curious.?.👍

Does this bike have the compression release lever on the left handlebar? Is the lever hitting the tank when cranked left? That would do it.

Speed wobbles are almost always from geometry and tire pressures. Try lower rear sag (lower tail height), then check tires pressures are good (15-20). Don't forget to check swingarm bearings for play - that could be a cause.

Let us know what you find.

If the manual decomp lever play is not adjusted right or if the cable isn't routed correctly, the mechanism at the head can be actuated when turning the bars. So watch the mechanism at the right side of the head when you turn the bars. If it's moving and actuating the right exhaust valve, that's your problem.

For speed wobbles, check head bearings, tire pressures and most of all make sure the wheels/tires are balanced. Dirt bike tires are not typically balanced, but if you're riding street speeds with them, especially knobbies, balance them. Try dropping the forks in the triple clamps too, til they're flush with the top clamp.

Mine did the same thing. It was the decomp. Do what trailryder42 suggested.