Sign in to follow this  

Hard Starting ATK 605 Rotax

I have 1999 kickstart-only ATK 605. It runs great and I love it once it is running, but I can't get this thing started with the kicker. It has good spark, fresh gas, cleaned the filter, tried 60 and 65 pilot, full choke, primed, kicked from tdc 1000 times and it only lit one time. valve timing? valve adjustment? ignition timing? If anyone can offer some advice I would be grateful. Extremely frustrated. 👍

I had a 1999, yet it had the kicker and the button, love the button, and in general kicking that thing was a b*tch, when I did, yet mine only took maybe 3 kicks.

I had mine for 3 high mileage years I know that they like to have the valves adjusted correctly (easy to do). I also think you have the air-screw out of wack (adjustable) and easy to set correctly.

I also during my time with the bike changed out the cam belt, again a easy job......

I found the Rotax motor a reliable beast and the carb never really gave me any issues, once adjusted........

Is this a new bike to you?

timing could be off, its a belt drive, and easy enough to check.

with my '92 604 i shake it back and forth, decomp and kick 5 times, full choke , set to TDC and give a good hard kick with my right leg. Starts within 2-3 kicks when I do this routine, otherwise i can kick it forever and get nothing. I found this little routine from atk motorsports bb after replacing the timebelt, checking the valves and spending $$ for a local shop to verify what I already did.👍

if you can advance the ignition timing a degree or too it might help

valve clearence .005 intake and exhaust. Raise the idle a bit.

thanks for all the tips. it is a new bike for me, and I took the timing belt cover off to find that i was not at tdc. that's why it wouldnt light. I did the five decompressor priming kicks, half choke, and a bit of throttle and it starts first or second kick.