Sign in to follow this  

KDX 220 Fresh Top End Tonight

My son and I just finished putting a Wiseco in his 2001 KDX 220. In all, it took about four hours. It started on the second kick and we've completed one five minute warm up cycle.

We'll do the second one in the morning and take it for a spin after it cools for a couple of hours.

The stock piston looked like new since the bike has very few hours on it.

Just wanted to thank everyone for the great information on this web site.

Thanks again to Yogi for the link to the full kit. It had everything we needed and the Cometic gasket kit seems to be good quality.

Getting the rings in position was the trickiest part. It was definitely helpful having another set hands for that. It would be interesting to know if anyone has an easier way or if there is a ring compressor that would work for this application.

Winkel

Gook Job Winkel

I just finished mine today. My stock piston looked fine, the kips worked fine as well, but took that stuff all apart and cleaned it too. I must have done a better job for mine started first kick....👍

I'm inbetween cycles now waiting for it to cool

You and your son have fun on that thing. I'll be taking mine on the first enduro of the season up here in the North Wet next weekend. Should be fun.

We took it for a couple of spins down the field roads behind the house today. Everything is looking and sounding good. I think I'll pretty much turn him loose on it tomorrow and maybe we'll do some back-roading. It's supposed to be raining here so we'll have to see what happens.

It was kind of funny, when it fired up on the second kick, my son laughed like he was surprised. I guess he thought we'd have some trouble shooting to do.

I didn't take the KIPS apart because everything looked really clean and I wanted to get it done last night.

How long did yours take you? The next time I do one, I'm going to find a ring compressor first. I just need to find one that you can unhook and get back out from between the cylinder and gearbox.

Are you supposed to put a 'dab' of locktite on the KIPS actuator shaft? I didn't because I thought it would be a booger to get off the next time.

Later,

Winkel

We took it for a couple of spins down the field roads behind the house today. Everything is looking and sounding good. I think I'll pretty much turn him loose on it tomorrow and maybe we'll do some back-roading. It's supposed to be raining here so we'll have to see what happens.

It was kind of funny, when it fired up on the second kick, my son laughed like he was surprised. I guess he thought we'd have some trouble shooting to do.

I didn't take the KIPS apart because everything looked really clean and I wanted to get it done last night.

How long did yours take you? The next time I do one, I'm going to find a ring compressor first. I just need to find one that you can unhook and get back out from between the cylinder and gearbox.

Are you supposed to put a 'dab' of locktite on the KIPS actuator shaft? I didn't because I thought it would be a booger to get off the next time.

Later,

Winkel

theres no need for a ring compressor, there should be a chamfer on the bottom of the cylinder. has never taken me more than 10 seconds the get the piston in the cylinder, just clock em, and guide them in with your fingers

Later,

Winkel

The Kips was easier than I thought. Whole thing took about 6 hrs, but I would be able to knock at least two off if I had to do over again. Sean's post in the FAQ section helped nicely, as the manual is rather vague at points. Didn't have an issue with rings, but did strip out the allen head on one of the shaft caps. Dang thing was tight. Was able to get it off with vise-grips though. As for the rings, I just put the piston at the bottom of the stroke, lined up the rings and it slipped on just fine.

Cylinder probably should have been plated, but with the enduro season coming up, it will have to wait till winter. I'll just do it over again with new rings and gaskets then.

I didn't use loctite on anything, as I saw no evidence of it being used already. I think it will be fine.

Enjoy your riding

Yeah, there is a nice lead in at the bottom of the cylinder, but my first shot was with the rod extended. The second time was with the piston sitting at the bottom of the stroke and it found home pretty easily there.

When I do pull my cylinder, I'm seriously thinking about doing a home porting job. I won't go too drastic, but my sons casting was pretty rough on the inside. Just smoothing up a bit and sharpening up the leading edges should help a lot. Sean's pictures were pretty good to show how it should look.

Good luck in you race next weekend. Let us know how it goes!

Thanks,

Winkel

im going to smooth my exhaust next time i have the cylinder off on my 200. im doing the same thing to my kx100 this weekend, the intake is really nasty, but it is an older casting (95),before they made smoother castings.

Yeah, I've always had it eplained that you should leave all of the intake ports rough as far as surface finish, but polish the exhaust. It would be interesting to see how much difference that alone makes. Judging by my son's, it would be noticeable. I would like to take out the chunks and sharpen up the leading edges of the webs in the intake runners and at the bottom of the cylinder. It will probably be a winter project for me.

I think I know the answer to this, but when I do, should I throw in a new set of rings?

Thanks,

Winkel

Polishing ports has absolutely no performance benefit. Smoothing out casting flaws can help, as well as making sure the transfer ducts are correctly matched to the cases.

I've always been told that the runners between the transfer ducts should be slightly blunt, not sharp.

Polishing ports has absolutely no performance benefit. Smoothing out casting flaws can help, as well as making sure the transfer ducts are correctly matched to the cases.

I've always been told that the runners between the transfer ducts should be slightly blunt, not sharp.

to aid in turbalance and mixture i would assume. im not polishing the intakes, just removing some nasty castings. ill take some pics