Sign in to follow this  

which bike to buy 150 or 250

need some input, i'm 195 pound rider and 40 years old currantly ride a 125 and love it howerver i'm going to buy a new bike (2stroke)but I don't know weather to jump to a 250sx or a go for a 150sx. I love my 125, in the I can ride it to the max and not get into too much trouble with its power, will a 250 be too much? but I dont have one to try. I did try a 250 3 or 4 years a go and it was too much and couldn't wait to get back on my 125 but now maybe I should go for it.

What are your thoughts?

you could 144 your 125 and save some $ over buying the 150...... i know i will always love the way 125-150s handle compared to 250s....

This is a tough call. I have a 250 SX for HS racing, and an RM 125 for fun/occasional race. In most conditions I have more fun with the 125, but the 250 is definitely better for racing (there is nothing more frustrating than making a skill-based pass in the woods, only to have the same rider blast past you in a open area based on horsepower alone). I think if I could only have one bike, I would probably buy a KTM 200. I have only ridden them a few times, but it seems like a nice mix. Not nearly as scary as a 250 can be, but enough grunt that you can take a break and lug the engine a bit. If I were not racing, I could be very happy with a 125 (or 150).

I have a KTm 200 and love it. Best combination of power and tractability. I also put in a Z-start auto clutch, which makes the bike perfect. I have a 450, too, and it is way too much unless wide open terrain and a 250 two stroke is just as powerful. I am buying a 150 to play on and a 250 elec start for serious enduro work. Would not buy the 250 if the 200 came with elec start. I use elec start because I am short and wear knee braces and ride on Double A trails, without Double A ability. I often am stuck someplace where I can't get to the kickstarter.

I am giving you this background so you can see how I arrived at telling you that I would buy the 200 if it were my only bike and live without the elec start. I would, in all cases, get a z-start pro if I were doing real enduro type terrain, or just liked to ride all day in technical terrain. I put a big tank on all my bikes and, at 62, can ride all day.

Good luck.

I think the 150 might be better than the 200, but I live at high altitude. At sea level, I would get the 150, but if I wanted to be a little more relaxed for all day rides, still the 200 shines since you don't have to wind it up to move out. Z-start pro makes all these two strokes closer to four stroke tollerence for rider error and traction.

Mike

In the woods it's much easier to ride a 250, as long as you don't grab a handful of throttle haha. They can be ridden a gear high and can bog down really low. Much broader power than a 125/150 and less of a hit in the powerband. The higher CC the 2 stroke, the less noticeable the powerband. From time to time I scare myself on the roads back to camp where I ride, I get used to the bike going really slow in the technical stuff that when I get out to the open stuff I forget how fast they really are!

Yes the handling of a 125 is unbeatable but the awesome engine characteristics of the 250 make it so worth it. I don't know if I'll ever be able to go back to a 125 again haha

I only realy race mx though am thinking about hare n hounds/ enduro but mainly mx

150 if mostly mx, for sure. The only downside is increased topend maintenance on the small bore. The 200xc makes a really good motocrosser too.

150sx!
150 if mostly mx, for sure. The only downside is increased topend maintenance on the small bore. The 200xc makes a really good motocrosser too.

We picked up the 150SX this year and have to agree with the 2 above responses! Awesome ride and probably the most fun you could have on a track!

those who have the 150sx - what is your rider weight with gear?

would a 220lb (naked) rider be too much for the 150sx - even with heavier suspension?

byte